lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2022, 12:25 PM   #11
Chris_feldk
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Speed Low Top Speed

Alright. I double checked the tach and its on the right setting for a 1 cylinder 2 stroke. it seems accurate. I then i drew the sharpie on the clutch as you said and all of it was worn off. I'm thinking its the governor. I put a longer screw in already but could I just drill it out? if so how? thanks!
Chris_feldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2022, 12:10 AM   #12
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I did that to my governor and it went like a bullet.....Jack it up and check the clutches are working properly.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:31 PM   #13
Chris_feldk
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo002 View Post
I did that to my governor and it went like a bullet.....Jack it up and check the clutches are working properly.
i have before it looks fine. how fast do you think your motor reved? I keep mine casually at 5500 rpm and nothing has happened yet.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:16 PM   #14
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_feldk View Post
i have before it looks fine. how fast do you think your motor reved? I keep mine casually at 5500 rpm and nothing has happened yet.
I didn't have a gauge on it but it revved out to what about the same...say 5000 to 6000....the clutches started pulling in as soon as it picked up speed...maybe about 3000 they are max.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:14 PM   #15
Chris_feldk
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

If i did disable the governor would it still be safe if I didn't hold it wide open for too long? Also, how can you disable your governor?
Old 10-04-2022, 10:12 PM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you are running at 5500-6000 rpm, the governor is no longer in play. The governor is just a lever that is attached to a flyweight setup inside the trans. As you speed up the lever is getting pulled by the flyweights and that effectively closes your throttle. Your engine wouldn't run at those rpm's if your governor was still in play. Adjusting the governor bolt all the way effectively takes out the travel in the lever, making zero pull on the carb linkage.

Clutch engagement will be around 1800 rpm, full shift out happens around 3200 rpm or so. Factory governed speed is 12mph, which is about half throttle, which is just barely past full shift.

Top speed on a cart with a properly functioning cvt will be dependent on:
1. Engine rpm
2. Rear tire size
3. Gearing
4. Final drive ratio/clutch diameter

If your engine is spinning at 6k and you are only at 14 mph, you have a problem with your drive system. I'm thinking clutches/belt. Did you remove the clutches and inspect? Belt glazed?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:22 PM   #17
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Good pics might help at this point
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:41 PM   #18
Chris_feldk
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have replaced the belt already. Both clutches seem alright but the walls of them are extremely shiny and smooth (i assume from the old belt slipping) So maybe its the clutches? I will try to get photos when i can!
Old 10-08-2022, 10:42 AM   #19
Chris_feldk
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

that image is the cart jacked up and running at top speed. the clutch walls seem to be very uneven where it wore down. it’s not engaging fully. If i were to get a new one, should i spend the extra money on a plowman’s clutch? Or would a golf cart king clutch from amazon be just as good? thanks!
Old 10-08-2022, 12:51 PM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I can see by the rust and wear marks on the clutch it is not closing anywhere near all the way. So it’s not going to pull the secondary clutch in enough for any kind of speed gains either.

You may be able to disassemble it and find where it’s binding but if the sheaves (areas where the belt actually rides) are wavy then it’s better to just buy a new one. They should be ruler flat.

As for th Amazon/golf cart king/etc vs. plowmans… either would be better than what you’ve got. However the comparison between those and a plowmans is sorta like comparing a burger from mcdonalds to a burger from a local burger joint. You can eat both of them, but one is clearly going to be made from better ingredients, taste better and overall far more enjoyable than the other.

Plus with plowmans, if you get both the primary and secondary from him, he can tune them to make the cart perform exactly like you want for your goals/terrain/etc with different combinations of springs and stuff.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speed governor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha