lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
dr.jim.b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Convert 4x12V Battery System to a 6x8V System for '05 Precedent ???

I continue to read posts where members suggest conversion kits to enable someone with a ClubCar Precedent to convert a 4x12V system to a 6x8V system.
I personally went into a factory ClubCar dealer a few months ago who told me that this was NOT possible for the early precedent models ('04 thru '07)
which have the center console dividing the 4x12V batteries.

My batteries are in need of replacing (they are 6 yrs old) and I would consider converting to a 6x8V system in order to increase run-time. The dealer says,
"this is NOT possible." However, I continue to read posts which refer to such conversion(s) and conversion kits (for approx $345).

I would greatly appreciate hearing from someone who has actually done one of these conversions - a) where did they get the kit? b) how difficult was it?
c) is it necessary to change any other items such as the OBC or the controller? etc?

Any assistance, information, and/or advice you might be able to offer would be WELCOME and GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks-a-Lot!

jim b.

Last edited by dr.jim.b; 08-23-2010 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: typo
dr.jim.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Re: Convert 4x12V Battery System to a 6x8V System for '05 Precedent ???

Can't help you with question other than to say I've heard of this conversion on this board as well but have not heard that it can't be done on older precedents. Mine is an 06 and I'm not currently considering this conversion.

I'm curious, though, are you saying you've heard it increases run time between charges? I must have missed that claim. I thought it was simply to get more longevity out of the battery pack. In other words, get 5 or 6 years out of a pack vs. maybe 4 with the 4x12v setup. Are you saying you got 6 years out of your original batteries? What kind of run time were you experiencing with the 4x12v setup? I've only had my cart a week as of today but don't see runtime being an issue, so far, as much as getting more years out of the batteries (mine are 2 years old) which remains to be seen for me. But I think if I can get 5+ years out of the batteries and a decent run time at the same time, I'll be satisfied. I had my last cart for almost 6 years and that seemed like forever. My long term expectation of this cart, assuming I do get good battery longevity, is to keep it a few more years, replace the batteries when needed, keep it a year or two after that, and sell it and move on to something else.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The people who work at the dealer you went to are idiots. All dealers get service bulletins as they come out from Club Car. When the battery conversion kit came out about 2 years ago every dealer in this country received a bulletin complete with part numbers for the kit. They can get it, they just don't realize they can get it. I don't have the part numbers handy, but OLD MEC and Scubabud may be able to help you with that. I've spoken with both of them in the past about the conversion.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The people who work at the dealer you went to are idiots. All dealers get service bulletins as they come out from Club Car. When the battery conversion kit came out about 2 years ago every dealer in this country received a bulletin complete with part numbers for the kit. They can get it, they just don't realize they can get it. I don't have the part numbers handy, but OLD MEC and Scubabud may be able to help you with that. I've spoken with both of them in the past about the conversion.
AM1275201 - Precedent 12V TO 8V Conversion Kit - $345
103368401 - Precedent Electric Battery Bucket Assembly - $71.10

Conversion package, when part numbers listed above are ordered together, includes all components and installation instruction necessary to convert a Precedent golf car to the 8-volt battery system. Components included are battery wires, hold downs, component mounting panel and shield, wire harness, charger receptacle, 4.0 OBC and safety decals. Batteries are not included
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
dr.jim.b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RedClub View Post
Can't help you with question other than to say I've heard of this conversion on this board as well but have not heard that it can't be done on older precedents. Mine is an 06 and I'm not currently considering this conversion.

I'm curious, though, are you saying you've heard it increases run time between charges? I must have missed that claim. I thought it was simply to get more longevity out of the battery pack. In other words, get 5 or 6 years out of a pack vs. maybe 4 with the 4x12v setup. Are you saying you got 6 years out of your original batteries? What kind of run time were you experiencing with the 4x12v setup? I've only had my cart a week as of today but don't see runtime being an issue, so far, as much as getting more years out of the batteries (mine are 2 years old) which remains to be seen for me. But I think if I can get 5+ years out of the batteries and a decent run time at the same time, I'll be satisfied. I had my last cart for almost 6 years and that seemed like forever. My long term expectation of this cart, assuming I do get good battery longevity, is to keep it a few more years, replace the batteries when needed, keep it a year or two after that, and sell it and move on to something else.
Thanks for the reply. And, yep the run-time increases significantly with the 6-8Volt config. (something like 25% greater run-time). It would increase even more with an 8-6Volt config. (like 50% greater run-time). This is the reason that Club Car no longer even offers the 4x12Volt setup. Too many customer complaints that the run-time is too short. The batteries I have now are the originals which came from the factory and they are stamped/coded Aug. 04. I have no problem with the longevity - they haven't been used that much (only in the winter months) but run-time is noticeably shorter then other 48V carts which have either the 6x8V or 8x6V configs. I notice it when playing a course that is 6-7 miles from my house - playing 18 holes and then driving the cart back home 6-7 miles... the low battery light is starting to flicker.

If anybody can provide me with the kit (part#) or whatever? I would be very Thankful. I am hoping that someone who has actually done one of these conversions will weigh-in on this thread.

Thanks Again for your comments 03RedClub!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
rib33024

dr.jim your answer is in post #4--
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
dr.jim.b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post

Conversion package, when part numbers listed above are ordered together, includes all components and installation instruction necessary to convert a Precedent golf car to the 8-volt battery system. Components included are battery wires, hold downs, component mounting panel and shield, wire harness, charger receptacle, 4.0 OBC and safety decals. Batteries are not included
Well, Thanks Very Much, Scubabud...
I am going to call that ClubCar Dealer tomorrow morning and ask him WHY? he told me that the conversion kit(s) will NOT work on
the "older" model Precedents with the center console between the batteries. He seemed quite knowledgeable and (considering the
prices they charge), I would think that he would love to sell me the kit and install it for me too? Go Figure!!

Thanks Again for the Info. I will followup with the dealer in the morning.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
dr.jim.b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
dr.jim your answer is in post #4--
Yep! Just saw it a minute ago and typed a repy.

Thanks!! rib33024 - (appreciate your help)
Old 08-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
dr.jim.b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post

Say... Scubabud, you wouldn't know if I would need to purchase a new charger, too... would you? I see that you mention the kit includes a new "charger receptacle."
I am hoping that it will not necessitate purchasing a new charger - they can be fairly pricey, can't they?

Thanks Again!!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
golfcar guy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You do not have to purchase a new charger for the conversion. The kit you get from Club Car will take you about 4 hours to install, its a fun job and you'll mfeel good when it complete. The "dealer" that said you could not convert the 2004-2007 did not know what they say
golfcar guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car