lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
Redbeardcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Strange Charging

Can someone tell me if this behavior is normal?

Plug charger into cart; on-off-on self test completes; amp meter goes to a little over 10 amps and slowly decreases to 5 amps over period of 10 to 12 hours; charger drops to 0 amps and appears to be off. Now for the strange part... still attached to the cart a few hours later the charger is back on at around 5 amps.

2000.0 DS
48v Series cart
Power Drive charger
OBC installed
Batteries are old but still holding a charge with decent capacity
Redbeardcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Strange Charging

How often do you charge your cart?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

There is definitely an issue with your OBC. It would not restart on its own unless it went into the maintenance cycle (much too soon) or you unplugged it and plugged it back in. (Now if the power has cycled in that area or at the outlet, it would mimic the same thing).

Try unplugging your main negative for 20 mins to reset the OBC and then plug it back in and see if it helps....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
Redbeardcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It is typically charged once to twice a week. I use it for work running around in the RV park four nights a week. If no rigs come in then it’s basically driven up to the club house and back each night. Not heavy use at all.

I also remembered seeing it sitting at 0 amps and hearing the relay in the charger click off when I pulled the plug out of the cart once. Other times there was no click when removing the plug. Like sometimes it’s off, sometimes not. There is a brown spot in the upper right corner of the OBC body as viewed from the battery compartment. It looks like an internal component over heated at some point in its life. .. sorry, forgot to mention those points in the original post. Senior moment!

It sounds like there’s an OBC bypass and a smart charger in my future.

So I guess my question now is could this be a result of leaving the charger plugged into power all the time and just plugging it in and out of the cart to charge?
Old 04-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

The general opinion here is, if your cart is parked next to your charger it should be plugged in to your cart. Don't run your batteries down for a week before you recharge.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeardcc View Post
So I guess my question now is could this be a result of leaving the charger plugged into power all the time and just plugging it in and out of the cart to charge?
Nah, all of mine remain plugged into outlets at all times and we just plug the pigtails in when the carts are parked. Your OBC has failed and in not cutting off the charger as it should. Another tell-tale will be if it moves while plugged in. (it should not energize the back-u[p alarm or move while plugged in)

And as WM6 said, they are P&P (Park & Plug!)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #7
Redbeardcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car