lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
Spye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default VC460 in a Carryall Issues

I installed a VC460 complete kit in my Carryall sometime back and I am still struggling with it draining my battery. I have replaced starter gen, voltage regulator, checked wiring against wiring diagram, made sure I have a direct ground from the starter gen to battery and still no good.

If I charge the battery it will run great for about 5 miles or so, then by that point the battery will be dead. Its almost like the starter gen is not disengaging with my pedal and allowing it to feed voltage back. Almost like it continues to try and start it while the motor is running. Am I missing something here? Any pointers to check on? Any help is appreciated.

Sid
Spye is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
Devil1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: VC460 in a Carryall Issues

I had the same problem. I have a club car ds and not a carry all but they are pretty much identical. The problem was that the f1 and f2 wires were switched, instead it should be a1 and a2 switched.
Devil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It should stop doing anything when you get off the pedal if you still have the stock pedal start. It should only try to turn the engine over when its not running and you have the pedal down. Once the engine hits an idle speed it will not spin that fast and turns into a charger, and its still connected to the battery, but the engine is running the gen now when at higher rpm, say over 1000 rpm at engine. At speed the voltage regulator tells the gen to charge or don't need charge based on the battery voltage it sees, if no charge needed the gen just spins and does not take power other than friction losses.

It should be wired the way it always was unless you had to reverse it because engine rotation is different. Double and triple check the wiring and make sure its right for what you have, would look at that first.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
Devil1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If it is have voltage drop only when the go pedal is pressed, the wrong wires were switched to reverse the rotation. This will cause the starter/generator to use voltage rather then produce it.

Switching the wires all depends on the year of the cart. What year is it?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #5
Spye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I think the wires being switched is the issue. It is a 2000 model. I spoke with Aaron at VC and he gave me the heads up on the wire issue as well. Will have time to test this weekend.
Spye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Devil1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It had me going nuts because I installed a new generator and voltage regulator. Hope you get it figured out and it's just a wire mix up.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

To see the gen working just put a volt meter on the battery. At rest you get your 12.5v charged battery (or very close). When you start it will dip lower (maybe 11-12v range) to show the load of turning over the engine, when it runs it will rise above the 12.5 to show charging. Note that gens do not charge well at low rpm, so you may not see it hit ~13.5v charge level until you are 2000 rpm (fast idle) or more depending on level of battery. If you do not see this voltage change or similar you have an issue.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps