lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
Wheeze08
Not Yet Wild

Default 1981 Harley 3 wheel D model reverse issue/won't reverse

Hello everyone! So recently me and my father had purchased a 1981 Harley Davidson gas 3 wheel D model as a little project for our campground. You'll have to forgive me, I'm not very golf cart savvy (more automotive), but about 2 weeks ago, we got a tune up kit and went about doing our thing. Set the timing, changed the plug, replaced the fuel filter, etc and it ran fine. Well yesterday we got new wheels and tires, and replaced the fuel mixture and fed fuel into the motor and guess what... It ran!.. For about 10 minutes until it no longer wanted to go in reverse. Still goes forward no problem at all, but when thrown in reverse, it only whines. The engine won't kick on or anything. Could this be a timing issue, even though it ran fine 2 weeks ago when we did timing? I also was told it could be a compression issue. Could it be the fuel mixture used (4 gal. Gas, 6oz oil)? Any feedback is welcome, as we are at a bit of a loss. Thanks!
Wheeze08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1981 Harley 3 wheel D model reverse issue/won't reverse

Sounds like your forward/reverse switch is not working properly. The timing should be close enough if you timed it in forward and reverse. If it runs in forward the compression should be at least adequate for now. Fuel mixture is good.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #3
top-cat
Getting Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1981 Harley 3 wheel D model reverse issue/won't reverse

I think your belt from starter to motor pulley is loose, that's the whining noise I think you hear. Compression is more than likely higher in reverse cause of wear.
top-cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 wheel, gas, harley davidson, reverse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson