lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Pool Tool
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 Columbia Par Car

Heu guys, I just joined the forum but I am really enjoying it so far. Thank you for sharing all the knowledge.

I picked up a 1984 Columbia 3 wheel cart last fall and finally had time to play with it. After a new battery and some TLC, I got it running and ran her around the yard and neighborhood for about a week. Then I started noticing gas leaking out of the carb bowl drain fitting. I ended up sealing that up, but it seems all the carb soft goods are shot. I was looking for a recommendation to buy a carb kit (Columbia / Harley Davidson Carburetor Repair Kit (Fits 1982-1986 Item #CRB CHD 7131 ??) or I think i read that there's a Mikuno (??) carb that is a easy swap and good upgrade.

Also, I dont know if it came with a wrong belt or not. The starter will definitely try to move the whole cart. The belt appears to have slack and the clutches seem to be working right, but it definitely turns the wheels. I have been pointing it downhill to start it. Current drive belt is IMC 36398-82.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Greg

VIN #: 3B 10339 C4
Pool Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Freckles
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1984 Columbia Par Car

I'd buy the kit and rebuild the carb you have. They're pretty easy. I bought a chinese carb off ebay for my harley and had lots of problems getting it to run right so i bought a kit and rebuilt the one i have with better results. Mine wass a tillotson carb.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
Eric the Ewok
Not Yet Wild

I agree - stick with your original. Mine (carb) was a right mess but after a really good clean and some TLC it is as good as new and runs lovely. You can get a replacement steel bowl and seal for next to nothing if it has the original aluminium bowl - that's a good upgrade.
Eric the Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
Pool Tool
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to pull the carb today and I'll order the kit.

Any ideas on the belt?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Just my 2 cents but Mikuni carbs are the best. They are still used widely today from everything ranging from motocycles to tractors to snowmobiles to golf carts etc. Columbias used Walbro carbs when most other golf cart brands were using Mikunis. Walbros are ok but, again this is just my opinion, Mikunis are the cream of the crop. For me, it's no brainer. I have 4 vintage carts and the first thing I did with all 4 was to convert them into Mikunis.

You can get a knock off Mikuni for your cart for about $20. They were used on late 80s EZGos and a bunch of other machines. They will fit on your cart great although there are a couple of very minor you'll need to do. Like Freckles said, the knock offs aren't always perfect out of the box but $20 is $20. That's prety much disposable right there. If stops working throw it away and get another one.

Again, there is no right or wrong answer to which carb is right. It's strctly a preference thing. You have options and that's critical.

The belt is a different issue. There should be some slack in it so you probably have the right one. Even so, wrong belts normally still will work just not at optimal levels (poor top speed, poor torque and such).

Are sure your engine is actually running? A lot of times the stater belt is turning the motor making it seem like it's running but it's not.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #6
Pool Tool
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the info. Yes, definitely running - zooming around at almost 20 mph and nearly burned myself on the exhaust many times. Not to mention the backfires while adjusting carb ;) Is there a way to find a circumference measurement of the proper belt? Something I could measure mine and compare to. I meant to look closer at the motor mounts today, just to make sure not causing undue alignment, but too busy pulling carb. All appears to be fine but starter still wants to pull/lurch cart forward.

I'll definitely look at the Mikuni - shoot it's half the cost of the Walbro rebuild kit. Is there a specific model you can recommend. I'll search again, as I think I might have seen Lochlin's post about those required mods.

Last question tonight - choke cable is awfully stubborn. Is there an effective electric choke mod for the Mikuni or Walbro? Where I could add a switch near the lever. That might help my decision.

Thanks again, I definitely appreciate the options and help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 06:36 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

The Mikuni carb # is BV19 or BV24. If you do a search for '82 - '87 EZ Go carb you'll get the right one as those years EZGos used the BV19 / BV24 depending on year. They are basically the same carb.

I should have added yesterday, a primary reason why I like the Mikunis are because they only have one "circuit" (I think that's what it's called). Walbro's have low speed "circuits" and high speed "circuits" in their carbs. Sounds like you may have lost the low speed one and going straight to the high speed.

Unfortunately, I don't know specifics on the belt so I can't help you there. Those can be tough to measure because they don't wear evenly from cart to cart. If I suspect a belt issue I just get another one.

Regarding the choke, I am not aware of any electric options with that.

Backfiring is a common problem with these carts. Check out the attached supplement. It explains nicely how to get that rectified.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CPC_MANUAL_SERVICE_1986_1988_Supplement.pdf (523.4 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar