lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
drbihlmeier
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default No reverse. HD forward reverse switch needed?

1998 club car. A9842-706689. I bought this cart about 5 months ago. It's lifted and has an alltrax 4844 controller. I knew nothing about carts before finding this site. Since owning it I've always smelt something burning when pulling it in garage. Only thing hot was the forward/reverse control. This past weekend I got in it, and noticed reverse stopped working. Causes? Forward works.
I've added the madjax reducer and a blue sea fuse box that controls the lights. The F/R looks to be stock. If it's just the F/R control, what's a good one?
drbihlmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Default Re: No reverse. HD forward reverse switch needed?

Lever F-R or toggle switch?
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:28 PM   #3
drbihlmeier
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It's the lever. 48v cart.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
drbihlmeier
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: No reverse.

A few pictures here of what I'm working with. I have the lever style switch. Not sure if it's just a micro switch that has failed or something bigger. Picture 2 and 3 show the copper terminals from the red and black wire looks to be getting hot and melting the plastic around it. Picture 4 seems to show the blue wire having a blackened tip. Just looking for some expert advice or experience on what needs to be done. Reverse just stopped working one night. Forward seems to be working as normal. As mentioned, I bought this cart used a few months back, and have only added lights and a reducer.

Serial Number.JPG

FR Switch.JPG

FR Switch 2.JPG

FR Switch 3.JPG

Micro Switches.JPG
Old 01-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A HD switch is needed. Along with bigger tires comes higher amperage draws. All this amperage goes thru the F&R. Go here and get the HD F&R with the 3 micro switches for your cart. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.php
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It looks like the issue with that blue wire is a bad crimped termination, so even if You replace the FNR switch, You will need to address that.

I would think the issue is that microswitch #3 , the one with the green,white, black wires.

In forward, Green is connected to white.

In reverse, Green is connected to black and it adds a resistor in series with the throttle to limit the speed.

You can try the following:
Lift the back wheels off the ground
Put the FNR in Forward.
Reach under the microswitch #3 with your fingers and press the lever up.
If the cart does not move while you do that, the resistor or the switch is bad.

You really don't need that switch if You don't mind full speed in reverse. You can just connect the Green and White wires together and by-pass the switch entirely.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
drbihlmeier
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

photo (7).jpg
Just a follow up. I ended up ordering from Scotty 4 gauge wires, HD FR Switch, and an HD Solenoid. Installed it all, and everything is back to normal. Getting about 24 MPH. Attached is the old FR switch after I removed the C-clip. The heat was causing some serious damage. Now after a long drive, I no longer smell something burning when pulling it in garage. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forward, hd switch, reverse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car