lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
jason78
Not Yet Wild

Default Low Speed Vehicle Designation in SC

This is more of a general Golf Cart question but is anyone here familiar with the Low Spped Vehicle designation in SC? The SC law states that even with turn signals and lights you are not supposed to operate a golf cart after dark.

That is apparently not the case with a Low Speed Vehicle. With a LSV you get a tag, can operate on the same roadways but also after dark. Everything at the DMV says there is no way to get LSV tag for a Golf Cart, even if its modified to the same specs. However, when I go to the beach or a couple golf cart communities near me, I see quite a few Golf Carts running around with LSV tags on them. Does anyone know how they are doing this? Is there some workaround or loophole?

Jason
jason78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2018, 12:50 AM   #2
thatrain31
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Low Speed Vehicle Designation in SC

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
thatrain31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
Cynikal.Mindset
Not Yet Wild

I do believe you just can't call it a golf cart when registering it as a technicality it has to be called by what it now is a "LSV" I'm sure somebody can chime in with more information as its been outlined a few times on the forums I have seen.

basically, you tell them you need to register a low speed vehicle and never mention its a cart...have it up to spec for inspection and get tags...or something along those lines
Cynikal.Mindset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
SHARKRACER3
Not Yet Wild

can the same be done for maryland
SHARKRACER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
twilliams81
Gone Wild

I think the after dark riding is a county by county decision...I’m in the midlands of SC and you certainly can ride them after dark and all that is required is insurance and a sticker from the DMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

LSV has a vin number, golf cart does not
LSV is also capable of faster speeds needed to keep up with traffic
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
LSV has a vin number, golf cart does not
LSV is also capable of faster speeds needed to keep up with traffic
"Faster speeds" of more than 20mph, not to exceed 25mph.

https://one.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/lsv/lsv.html
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
jason78
Not Yet Wild

I'm just curious how all these people with carts are getting LSV tags for them and I've seen a lot. I was hoping someone on here had done it. If an inspection is not required then I can see how that could work but I have a feeling any inspector will be able to tell the difference. LSVs are not supposed to be operated on roadways with SL greater than 35 just like golf carts so the attainable speed may be greater for an LSV but the operational speed restrictions are the same.

The state law for a registered golf cart is pretty clear about not operating after dark. As with any law, I'm sure it's enforced with discretion by police especially in seasonal areas. I'd still like to figure out how these people are getting an LSV tag. I'm wondering if there is a service to title it in a state with lesser restrictions then turn the title over to you for a fee or something. It looks like an LSV registration requires a title or statement of origin.
jason78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The feds made a guideline for "50 state legal" (see link in my last post). Also, this theory is confirmed on that Nhtsa LSV link I just posted. States can enact their own laws. I got my golf cart inspected and registered as a LSV, the process is pretty easy in AZ. There are many tales on this site of people trying unsuccessfully to get their golf cart called a LSV in their stricter state.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason78 View Post
I'm just curious how all these people with carts are getting LSV tags for them and I've seen a lot. I was hoping someone on here had done it. If an inspection is not required then I can see how that could work but I have a feeling any inspector will be able to tell the difference. LSVs are not supposed to be operated on roadways with SL greater than 35 just like golf carts so the attainable speed may be greater for an LSV but the operational speed restrictions are the same.

The state law for a registered golf cart is pretty clear about not operating after dark. As with any law, I'm sure it's enforced with discretion by police especially in seasonal areas. I'd still like to figure out how these people are getting an LSV tag. I'm wondering if there is a service to title it in a state with lesser restrictions then turn the title over to you for a fee or something. It looks like an LSV registration requires a title or statement of origin.

EZGO, Club Car and maybe a couple of others make LSVs that are not only based on golf carts but look just like them. This may account for most or all of what you see.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car