lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2017, 06:50 AM   #1
morgaler
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club car ds with regen system

I habe a club car 48 volt with the regen breaking on down hill... Is the regen good or bad. Please bear with me as to I'm new to all this.
morgaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Club car ds with regen system

It's like anything else. Good or bad is a matter of opinion.

Some will say that, assuming things are working properly, then regen is good as it's charging the batteries and getting you longer run time. Others will say it's no good as the minimal benefits you get from the charging isn't worth having the cart slow itself down when you don't really want it to.

Me personally I am not a fan. Even when it's working perfectly (and how often does that really happen) it really doesn't add a noticeable difference in run time. It's just one more thing that can fail. Again, that's just me. Others may not agree with me which is fine.

I did away with it by way of a Plum Quick motor install.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

For me I could care less about the charging aspect. I never run my batteries anywhere near half full.

The reason why I would never get rid of it is for the slowing ability on downhill runs. I got a couple of runs down gravel roads with a turn at the bottom. If all I had was a vintage cable brake design engaging only two drums on a four wheel machine, well that's just crazy talk.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post
For me I could care less about the charging aspect. I never run my batteries anywhere near half full.

The reason why I would never get rid of it is for the slowing ability on downhill runs. I got a couple of runs down gravel roads with a turn at the bottom. If all I had was a vintage cable brake design engaging only two drums on a four wheel machine, well that's just crazy talk.

I was the same way which is why I didn't like it. My cart is in a campground and never used for any runs longer than 1/2 hour tops. It's on a charger far more often than being driven. Hence, I receive no benefit from regen and, like you, I hated the cart not coasting right.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, so explain to me how regen slows you down with other than the rear wheels. Also the regen uses the motor to do the braking, it is mounted to the diffentral, by its design a diffentral will allow one wheel to slip on uneven surfaces. Gravel is not always the same on both sides. Same is true on a wet cart path. I have exprenced a cart with regen down hill an a wet cart path. One wheel was sliding and almost caused me to turn over. With good ole drum brakes I can let up on them and re-apply as needed when the cart tries to slide.

Others may disagree but this is my exprence and something to think about.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your experience must have been with an early version of the Regen systems.

The new systems work very effectively at braking the cart without any chance of spinning or loosing control.

Some manufactures have even gone exclusively to Regen brake, but I personally like having the mechanical brake as a backup or for the final stopping power.

It is a matter of preference if you like or not, but Regen brakes are effective and all modern OEM and aftermarket Controllers use them.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Your experience must have been with an early version of the Regen systems.

The new systems work very effectively at braking the cart without any chance of spinning or loosing control.

Some manufactures have even gone exclusively to Regen brake, but I personally like having the mechanical brake as a backup or for the final stopping power.

It is a matter of preference if you like or not, but Regen brakes are effective and all modern OEM and aftermarket Controllers use them.
Good point. My regen was on a 2003. It was awful but that was also when regen technology was pretty new still. I would hope a lot has changed since then.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #8
morgaler
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

How big of difference did the plum quick motor make lochlin
morgaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaler View Post
How big of difference did the plum quick motor make lochlin
I have their Bandit motor and not a single other upgrade to the electronics. My cart has a 3 inch lift and 20 inch tires though. I got a 5 mph increase from 18-19 mph to 23-24 mph. What's nice is that it coasts the right way now.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I like the regen feature, but mainly for the "extras" as CM pointed too. Also Roll Away feature is nice when the kids or someone have it on an incline and it wants to roll and the regen bogs it down and sets off the back-up alarm.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car