lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
tombraider
Not Yet Wild

Red face 96 electric ezgo western acceleration problem

cart has a Curtis pmc 1205-117 controller. on the road when pressing accelerator pedal, half way down runs fine. soon as you go any further cart stops moving. I turn key off then back on will run half throttle okay. I placed cart on jack stands, cart runs fine from zero to 100 percent, no load. I replaced pedal box inductive throttle sensor and adjusted to specs. made no difference same results. is this a controller problem? I do not not want to purchase this high dollar item unless I am 100 % sure this is the problem.

thank you, all ideas appreciated
tombraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 electric ezgo western acceleration problem

What does the pack voltage drop to when driving? (42V pack?)

Might be batteries failing when loaded, but doesn't when wheels are on ground because fewer amps are needed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I agree with Johnnie - If you don't have a meter you can test the cart from a standstill up hill & see if it fails sooner or down hill and see if you can't ease into it and get full speed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
tombraider
Not Yet Wild

Red face Re: 96 electric ezgo western acceleration problem

this is the tombraider
hello johnnie and scotty, I finally got around to testing my cart as per suggestions, once Christmas and a bout with the flu was over. I connected my fluke volt meter to the positive and negative posts on the 42 volt battery pack and went for a driving test. guess what? cart drove normal. I do not know why, I did everything possible to make the acceleration problem show up, but to no avail. where I live in Florida there is only one hill a bridge to show the lowest voltage drop. the voltage dropped from 43.6 to 37.8 which to me is normal. top speed of 24 mph dropped to 36.9 then back to 38.5, once cruising at top speed.

I do not like electrical problems that fix their self, because in the back of your head you are wondering when its going to happen again. but at least I do not have to work on cart for now.

any wild ideas what could have happened , thanks dave
Old 01-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You said the 42V pack voltage dropped from 43.6V. Was that the pack voltage before the cart was moved?
If so, how long had the batteries sit after the charger turned off?

A fully charged 42V pack should have 44.6V about 12 hours after the charger shuts off.
At 43.6V the pack's State of Charge is less than 80%. (See attached chart)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
tombraider
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: 96 electric ezgo western acceleration problem

well, i finally figured out what was causing the problem with the acceleration problem. turns out the on/off switch, ignition switch the contacts in the switch where falling apart. it got so bad the car would not run at all. I was able to take the switch apart. the very small springs under the contacts had broke into three pieces. this switch has two separate normally open sets of contacts. everything always a little different on these western carts. could not find such a switch with two n/o contacts in the golf cart world. I purchased an Allen-Bradley industrial switch with the contacts I needed and installed in cart. everything is back to normal, what a nightmare this turned out to be.

case closed, DAVE
Old 02-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thanks for letting us know.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO