lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
tenn_blue59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Options for a ccw Club car swap - help!

I have a 1998 Club Car Carryall 1 with a blown motor. I want to replace the motor with a clone/briggs one. Started asking questions in the Club Car gas area and they suggested I come over here...

I understand that my cart is counterclockwise rotation, and most clone/briggs engines are clockwise rotation.

Looking for some guidance on how to proceed. I have several possible options:

I understand I can just swap reverse and forward on the axle - run around in reverse most of the time. Gearing is a little slower (correct?) but not much of a difference.

Could I fab a crank stub for the flywheel side and mount the clutch over there so rotation is correct for the transaxle? I have the tools (lathe, mill, welder) and skills to make the stub and the engine has the threaded boss for it (briggs).

I have the transaxle and clutch setup from a Taylor-Dunn utility cart that I could just swap into the CC. Taylor-Dunn is cw axle (I am not aware of TD's being ccw...). Unsure of ratios etc, but the axle has the same mount points for shocks and would physically match up.

If I use the CC transaxle, I need to replace the driven clutch, as the one on it is trashed. Would I have to go with a ccw CC clutch as a replacement or are clutches multi-directional? If CC, would it have to be from a 96 up (ccw), or could I use an older one (cw rotation)?

Would either be using a "breathed on" 10hp briggs (that I already have) or a 13/16hp clone (would have to buy). This is for a stock wheeled/non-lifted utility work cart. So it doesn't have to be a speed demon. Figure the original cart only had 9.5 hp, so worst case it will be stock like performance.

I am leaning toward swapping in the Taylor Dunn transaxle. Can anybody verify that they were all CW rotation? Seems like that would be my easiest option.

Opinions?
tenn_blue59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Options for a ccw Club car swap - help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_blue59 View Post
I have a 1998 Club Car Carryall 1 with a blown motor. I want to replace the motor with a clone/briggs one. Started asking questions in the Club Car gas area and they suggested I come over here...

I understand that my cart is counterclockwise rotation, and most clone/briggs engines are clockwise rotation.

Looking for some guidance on how to proceed. I have several possible options:

I understand I can just swap reverse and forward on the axle - run around in reverse most of the time. Gearing is a little slower (correct?) but not much of a difference.

Could I fab a crank stub for the flywheel side and mount the clutch over there so rotation is correct for the transaxle? I have the tools (lathe, mill, welder) and skills to make the stub and the engine has the threaded boss for it (briggs).

I have the transaxle and clutch setup from a Taylor-Dunn utility cart that I could just swap into the CC. Taylor-Dunn is cw axle (I am not aware of TD's being ccw...). Unsure of ratios etc, but the axle has the same mount points for shocks and would physically match up.

If I use the CC transaxle, I need to replace the driven clutch, as the one on it is trashed. Would I have to go with a ccw CC clutch as a replacement or are clutches multi-directional? If CC, would it have to be from a 96 up (ccw), or could I use an older one (cw rotation)?

Would either be using a "breathed on" 10hp briggs (that I already have) or a 13/16hp clone (would have to buy). This is for a stock wheeled/non-lifted utility work cart. So it doesn't have to be a speed demon. Figure the original cart only had 9.5 hp, so worst case it will be stock like performance.

I am leaning toward swapping in the Taylor Dunn transaxle. Can anybody verify that they were all CW rotation? Seems like that would be my easiest option.

Opinions?
Your 98 will be CW rotation so to clarify, the clone will be opposite rotation. The difference between speed (using reverse for forward on the CC axle) will be approximately 5MPH which is easily gained back with just a little fine tuning. "Breathing" on the Briggs might get you 12 / 14 HP easy reliable performance. Doesn't sound a lot but it's very noticable. A 16 HP clone is well under $300 delivered, more tuneable and a vastly better option.
http://www.maxtool.com/us/products/XP16HPE.asp

FC.
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you don't want to run reverse for forward I've seen some engines (Not clones tho) that have a flywheel side PTO you can put your clutch on. You could also make a jack shaft with a metal rod on pillow blocks. Chain drive from the engine to the jack shaft which spins the clutch on the same side as the rear end. That method is great for atv/motorcycle engines. Or you can swap in an older rear end. Any of those options will be cheaper then buying a replacement engine. On a newer club car I did for a guy he wanted an motorcycle engine so I did the jack shaft. I used the factory belt and clutch which saves on money.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

i have the same problem with my '97 club car. i have several motors that were candidates for my swap. lawn tractor motors are worth looking at if they're horizontal because they have a through shaft on the flywheel side. the only real downside with these motors is that they are usually taller than your stock motor and the flywheel side has a much smaller bearing because it turns the transaxel that has less strain on it than the crank shaft that turns the implements. i decided to fab up a jackshaft to turn my driving clutch. the motor sits backwards in the craddle so that everything can spin the right direction.
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps