lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
IRCJB
Getting Wild

Default BB swap, belt length options?

I'm estimating a 47" belt, but it doesn't look like the 1.188" (1 3/16") belts come in that size.
I'm using a 41" now, and by my measurements, I'll need to move the crank line forward 3" to get the engine to clear the trans.
41"+3"+3"=47"

I could take some stuff off, and move things closer together, but it would be a short trip with no oil filter.

What belt sizes are other BB swaps using?
IRCJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Default Re: BB swap, belt length options?

The belt game is a hard one to play at $25 to $50 each. I wish I knew of a way to measure to get the belt size needed. I'm in that shape right now with a new belt I can't use. I need a 1 1/8th X 43,44 and can't find one.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
jeffrun
Gone Wild

maybe this chart will help....

http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycowe...f!OpenDocument
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
IRCJB
Getting Wild

Hmmm...
45" looks like about it on the width I need.
Is there any problem with my speculation that I'll need another 6" of belt for moving the pulley 3" foward?

That puts me in a jam since the oil filter will be right up close to the shift lever; so close it can't be removed without unbolting the engine.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
jeffrun
Gone Wild

yes, 6" additional belt lenth would be about right moving motor 3". That would be 51". I have a excel file that you fill in the dimensions and gives you belt length, i have found this works good for a close estimate. I can email to you if you want a copy.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
jeffrun
Gone Wild

i have a Honda 24hp in my 2001 EZ GO,txt and im using a 45" belt and is working fine. Oil filter is close to tranny, but enough clearance. I think the 45" is the stock belt for that model. I have stock ezgo driver clutch and stock driven clutch.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
IRCJB
Getting Wild

Alright, got another engine with the oil filter on the other side. Looks like a 45" belt will do the trick.

Are belt dimensions consistent from one manufacturer to the next?
Example; if I need a 1/2" shorter belt; can I swap from Goodyear to Carlisle or Dayco and expect it to act like a 1/2" shorter belt?

Is there a performance level that's needed for a BB 20 HP, or are we at the bottom of what these belts are normally expected to handle?

Is there a preferred belt manufacturer or product line?

I was using a Goodyear Powerstreak 71113 (41"); and the engine will be moving from 10" center to center, to 12" c-c.
That puts me at a 45" estimated belt.
How do I determine when a belt has the proper "tension" when setting up the engine placement?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
IRCJB
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrun View Post
Here's another for the Carlisle product line.
http://www.cptbelts.com/pdf/publicat..._have_edge.pdf
Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I use the Harley Davidson belt from Columbia par car. When I have room, I use the OEM#36398-97 (47.5 x 1-3/16) aka Nivel#1357

You can project what length belt you will need for a particular install by setting the engine in place and measuring with a string. The string should be placed around the outside of the rear clutch at it's greatest diameter and around the in shaft of the motor clutch at it's smallest diameter... (inside on the center shaft where the belt sits when the motor is OFF) Take this measurement and add 2 inches, that is the size belt you will need.
I try to set t up for a certain HD belt to work and then slot my mount holes so I can make some small adjustment... Recommended belt adjustment is 3/4 to 1 inch deflection. (I see more than this on most good working belts?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1351.jpg (171.3 KB, 3 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!