lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
fastflstc
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Has anyone installed a B&S opposed twin in a 94-01.5 gas ezgo

Ok have the engine removed from mower and cart is stripped down. I guess I first need to get a clutch for the engine and then begin to align the pulley and build engine mounts. Will I need the belt that I am going to use (how do I choose the belt to start with) to get the location of the engine. Does anyone have any pics of a build like this? going to just trying to mock up the build today although I do not know how much good that will do without the drive clutch that I am going to use
fastflstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Has anyone installed a B&S opposed twin in a 94-01.5 gas ezgo

Youre best bet with the belt is to use the original deminsion from crankshaft center to the input shaft center and set the motor that far. Then the original belt should still work. Some people have the stock clutch machuned to fit your new shaft.
I know that people have put in opposed twins, we just need them to see this and post pics...The clutch alignment is very critical, I wouldn't waste much time with the motor till there's a clutch available//.good luck
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...t=opposed+twin
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
fastflstc
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

tonyton, The problem that I have with that is there was no engine in the cart when I got it. I have the stock driven clutch still there but no way to get a measurement where the stock engine shaft was. I guess that I could locate a stock cart and get a measurement.

thanks
Jeff
Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

the opposed twin will sit much farther forward than the stock engine, the only way to get the belt length to install the engine and drive clutch and then get your measurement.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
the opposed twin will sit much farther forward than the stock engine, the only way to get the belt length to install the engine and drive clutch and then get your measurement.
Or just place the engine in there and get a mock up fit .... There is a way to get a belt measurement without a belt IF you have both clutches? Sometimes you can fudge the install an inch forward or back to MAKE IT fit a stock belt...... Wasn't it Calvin (Goat53 ?)who ran the opposed B&S?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Calvin, yzeffer, lo cash lester.... The Pro's (which I'm not) make the engine mount position fit a stock length belt..... 45" 1 3/16 EZ GO on mine, 12" C toC and is almost too tight!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
fastflstc
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

have a siezed up 400 polaris 4 wheeler just pulled the driven clutch off of it to get the belt and for S&G tried it on the ezgo rearend and the splines are exact. wondering if the drive clutch will fit on the B&S shaft tried to pull it and have not had any luck getting it off yet. I would think it would be plenty of clutch if the B&S will spin it enough, what do you guys think?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastflstc View Post
have a siezed up 400 polaris 4 wheeler just pulled the driven clutch off of it to get the belt and for S&G tried it on the ezgo rearend and the splines are exact. wondering if the drive clutch will fit on the B&S shaft tried to pull it and have not had any luck getting it off yet. I would think it would be plenty of clutch if the B&S will spin it enough, what do you guys think?
the drive clutch on the polaris is tapered and won't fit, it has the same taper as the ez go clutch. the driven will fit! thats an old trick to get more low end torque plus a little more speed because its a smaller Dia.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
the drive clutch on the polaris is tapered and won't fit, it has the same taper as the ez go clutch. the driven will fit! thats an old trick to get more low end torque plus a little more speed because its a smaller Dia.
You da man Nuds
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!