lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #11
Mjd08
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Columbia Car Par gas won't climb hills

Update sorry for the delay. It appears both clutches are operating as described. The secondary does spread allowing the belt to drop. The primary does collapse forcing the belt up. My question is how high is the belt supposed to rise. It currently comes up to about a half inch to being flush with the top of the clutch. Is that adequate? There seems to be a ridge or lip at that point. Could that lip or ridge prevent belt from rising all the way to be flush? My next move was to belt dressing and adding fuel as it very possibly it might be drawing air at inclines.....is secondary clutch adjustable?
Mjd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #12
Lochlin
Gone Wild

1/2 inch or so from the top sounds about right for the primary. The secondary should be 1/2 inch or so from the center of that clutch. Yours sound like they are operating ok, at least from a visual perspective with the cart jacked up and not under load. If I were a betting man, though, I would bet that your secondary is failing under load while pulling a hill. Unfortunately those aren't repairable or adjustable. It's simply a matter of the spring, flanges and other metal getting worn out over time. That cart is 26 years old and clutches aren't forever parts on any engine.

First things first though, make sure you have the right belt. There is an inch or so difference between the later Columbia belts and the earlier HD belts. Many people make a mistake of thinking they are the same but they aren't and they do make a difference. Order a new one if you aren't sure.

If you are sure that you have the right belt I would go ahead and replace the secondary clutch. They aren't cheap but won't break the bank either. They are pretty easy to put on.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #13
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Belt dressing is probably a bad idea since it may make the belt slip which you dont want.

Does the belt have a number on it?

Take some pics of the clutches and belt and post it.

Is the engine missing any when it pulls a hill?
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #14
Mjd08
Not Yet Wild

Ok I've posted some pics. I hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160709_071018.jpg (206.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160709_071032.jpg (163.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160709_071040.jpg (200.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #15
Mjd08
Not Yet Wild

Any idea what the yr is on it?
Old 07-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #16
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

The last two numbers D0 indicates its a 1990 model.
2L indicates its a 4-Wheel Gas P4G.

36398-82 is the OEM belt and is the right belt. It should measure 1 7/32" x 35 5/8" o.d. Take a measuring tape and measure the width of the belt and post it.

What is that ring I see on the outer sheave of the primary clutch and why is it soaking wet? It being wet it is probably going to slip.

Take a pic of the front of the secondary clutch.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #17
Mjd08
Not Yet Wild

Ok I've attached some additional pictures.
In a previous post I was told the belt at primary being approximately 1/2 inch below flush w/top of primary should be adequate. While on Jacks they both seem to operate correctly. Yesterday I was back 80-100 ft from base of hill with the back body tilted back so I could see. I noticed that it seemed I did not have enough rpms to actuate either clutches prior to my acsend to the top. Engine has no miss but slows as its being pulled down. Should I have higher rpms in 80-100ft so clutch can function? I know hard to see but there is a small lip or ridge on outer surface of primary. Seems to be a normal stopping point.

I plan to replace plug, is there anything else that can improve accleration. Again on stands and flat ground engine and ground speed are good.

The secondary/driven clutch appears to have been replaced or serviced. But again functions well with no load on jack. Just curious about engine and acceleration with a load. Thanks in advance...,,,marty
Old 07-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #18
Mjd08
Not Yet Wild

Sorry, seems that belt width is closer to 1 1/8 than 1 7/32?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160710_064336.jpg (154.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160710_064423.jpg (205.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160710_064803.jpg (165.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #19
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

How steep is the hill? 8 or 9 HP will only do so much. My 1974 cart will slow down on a hill with 300 pounds to 400 pounds on it. (me, my wife, and my vineyard working supplies). My hill is not very steep but it is long and by the time I get to the top I have lost 50% of my speed.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #20
Mjd08
Not Yet Wild

That is a good point that I've not thought of and maybe denied the idea. The hill is pretty steep but my 98 gas club car goes right up and even accelerates. I wonder now if I'm expecting more than it's capabilities. Maybe the hp comparison would determine. Any idea were I can find hp ratings for both?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar