lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium


Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #11
augiedoggy
Gone Wild
 
augiedoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,034
Default Re: JK BMS question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I wouldn't trust setting the controller undervoltage for this and most folks don't have the tools to do this with the stock controller. I know I don't and I've set up Lithium on RXV's for my buddies. Solution is don't run the battery down to where the BMS shuts off!
Yeah I agree but we've all seen the memes showing the electric cars being charged by a generator on the side of the road. And many have run out of gas dispite the gauge on the dash.
People are an unreliable variable. If a son or daughter or someone less familiar with how things work with the cart drives it scenarios like this are bound to happen in my opinion.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #12
benjylafond
Gone Wild
 
benjylafond's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 331
Default Re: JK BMS question

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Yeah I agree but we've all seen the memes showing the electric cars being charged by a generator on the side of the road. And many have run out of gas dispite the gauge on the dash.
People are an unreliable variable. If a son or daughter or someone less familiar with how things work with the cart drives it scenarios like this are bound to happen in my opinion.

You nailed it. My first foray into lithium was a 36v leaf pack I built with a bms about 8 years ago. Worked great for a year until my 13 y/o daughter decided to take cart out in rain with her friend, ran through a huge puddle, fried the BMS, then drove it until battery discharged so far the cart wouldnt move. Needless to say, the leaf modules were paperweights after that.

Error #1: not putting battery in watertight box
Error #2: not hiding keys to cart
benjylafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #13
TheCartBoy
Gone Golfing
 
TheCartBoy's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,358
Default Re: JK BMS question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
The case presented here though is particular to that pesky electronic emergency brake. I do not know that your solution fixes that from happening.

I could be misunderstanding what your saying and I apologize if I am.
The undervoltage protection just insures the cart stops driving before the BMS shuts off. You can still use tow mode to release the brakes and push.

In a fault scenario, like the encoder fails resulting in the brake locking up, that would probably take a jumper to release the brakes since the controller is faulted out. Has nothing to do with the battery however.
TheCartBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM   #14
TheCartBoy
Gone Golfing
 
TheCartBoy's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,358
Default Re: JK BMS question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I wouldn't trust setting the controller undervoltage for this and most folks don't have the tools to do this with the stock controller. I know I don't and I've set up Lithium on RXV's for my buddies. Solution is don't run the battery down to where the BMS shuts off!
Dont knock it till you try it. I'd say it works quite well.
TheCartBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #15
jasonojordan
Gone Wild
 
jasonojordan's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,196
Default Re: JK BMS question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCartBoy View Post
The undervoltage protection just insures the cart stops driving before the BMS shuts off. You can still use tow mode to release the brakes and push.

In a fault scenario, like the encoder fails resulting in the brake locking up, that would probably take a jumper to release the brakes since the controller is faulted out. Has nothing to do with the battery however.

Thanks that makes alot more sense. I assumed that it acted similar to the bms shutting down and that you would not be able to release the brakes or anything then. Good to know!
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #16
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,845
Default Re: JK BMS question

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Yeah I agree but we've all seen the memes showing the electric cars being charged by a generator on the side of the road. And many have run out of gas dispite the gauge on the dash.
People are an unreliable variable. If a son or daughter or someone less familiar with how things work with the cart drives it scenarios like this are bound to happen in my opinion.
That was my argument here a few years ago when we often had people running NMC packs without a BMS. They would claim that they knew what their pack was doing, they checked it often, they’d never had a problem thus far, it’s working perfectly etc. etc. etc. Heard it all. Some were very difficult to convince.

Luckily we don’t have that problem here anymore as most understand the importance of a BMS.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Club Car Front Bumper Light question+ Power Monitor Question+ Updated Picture Electric Club Car
Where does this vacuum hose go? And carb question and gas tank question Gas Yamaha
Upgrade question.. I am upgrading my cart and have a question on a part. Electric Club Car
1990 Club car With flat head Rev limiter question and govenor question Gas Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. © 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.