lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #11
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: JK BMS question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I wouldn't trust setting the controller undervoltage for this and most folks don't have the tools to do this with the stock controller. I know I don't and I've set up Lithium on RXV's for my buddies. Solution is don't run the battery down to where the BMS shuts off!
Yeah I agree but we've all seen the memes showing the electric cars being charged by a generator on the side of the road. And many have run out of gas dispite the gauge on the dash.
People are an unreliable variable. If a son or daughter or someone less familiar with how things work with the cart drives it scenarios like this are bound to happen in my opinion.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #12
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Yeah I agree but we've all seen the memes showing the electric cars being charged by a generator on the side of the road. And many have run out of gas dispite the gauge on the dash.
People are an unreliable variable. If a son or daughter or someone less familiar with how things work with the cart drives it scenarios like this are bound to happen in my opinion.

You nailed it. My first foray into lithium was a 36v leaf pack I built with a bms about 8 years ago. Worked great for a year until my 13 y/o daughter decided to take cart out in rain with her friend, ran through a huge puddle, fried the BMS, then drove it until battery discharged so far the cart wouldnt move. Needless to say, the leaf modules were paperweights after that.

Error #1: not putting battery in watertight box
Error #2: not hiding keys to cart
benjylafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #13
TheCartBoy
Gone Golfing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
The case presented here though is particular to that pesky electronic emergency brake. I do not know that your solution fixes that from happening.

I could be misunderstanding what your saying and I apologize if I am.
The undervoltage protection just insures the cart stops driving before the BMS shuts off. You can still use tow mode to release the brakes and push.

In a fault scenario, like the encoder fails resulting in the brake locking up, that would probably take a jumper to release the brakes since the controller is faulted out. Has nothing to do with the battery however.
TheCartBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM   #14
TheCartBoy
Gone Golfing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I wouldn't trust setting the controller undervoltage for this and most folks don't have the tools to do this with the stock controller. I know I don't and I've set up Lithium on RXV's for my buddies. Solution is don't run the battery down to where the BMS shuts off!
Dont knock it till you try it. I'd say it works quite well.
TheCartBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #15
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCartBoy View Post
The undervoltage protection just insures the cart stops driving before the BMS shuts off. You can still use tow mode to release the brakes and push.

In a fault scenario, like the encoder fails resulting in the brake locking up, that would probably take a jumper to release the brakes since the controller is faulted out. Has nothing to do with the battery however.

Thanks that makes alot more sense. I assumed that it acted similar to the bms shutting down and that you would not be able to release the brakes or anything then. Good to know!
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #16
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
That was my argument here a few years ago when we often had people running NMC packs without a BMS. They would claim that they knew what their pack was doing, they checked it often, they’d never had a problem thus far, it’s working perfectly etc. etc. etc. Heard it all. Some were very difficult to convince.

Luckily we don’t have that problem here anymore as most understand the importance of a BMS.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium