lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
golfjet52
Not Yet Wild

Default What model 36 volt motor do I need for my 48 volt cart?

I've decided to swap in a 36v motor for more power/speed into my 48v 1996 DS.

I just need to know what model motor to get & where to find one. I looked on ebay and they have new motors for 36v/48v carts. I want an actual motor just for a 36v cart.

My DS is stock as far as the power goes. It does have a 6" lift with 22s on it, which makes it a tad sluggish on an incline.

Thanks.
golfjet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: What model 36 volt motor do I need for my 48 volt cart?

If your looking for more torque instead of speed and are willing to put the money towards a new motor...why not just get a bigger controller? that solves this problem and theres no guessing game involved...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Plasterface
Not Yet Wild

It sounds like he wants a 36 volt motor so he can avoid the expense of a new ccontroller, which I believe a 36 volt motor in a 48 volt cart would yield more speed and torque.

But if it is not an expense issue I would look into a new 48 volt motor with a new controller. That is what I did with my 2000 DS and I get about 25MPH, goes up hills like they were flat.
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterface View Post
It sounds like he wants a 36 volt motor so he can avoid the expense of a new ccontroller, which I believe a 36 volt motor in a 48 volt cart would yield more speed and torque.

But if it is not an expense issue I would look into a new 48 volt motor with a new controller. That is what I did with my 2000 DS and I get about 25MPH, goes up hills like they were flat.
Which motor/controller do you have?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
golfjet52
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
If your looking for more torque instead of speed and are willing to put the money towards a new motor...why not just get a bigger controller? that solves this problem and theres no guessing game involved...
I'm looking for both speed and torque, from what I've read on this forum a 36v motor will do that when installed on a 48v cart.

I'm not willing to buy a new motor, I was actually looking around for a used one out of a 36v CC.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
golfjet52
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterface View Post

Expense is an issue, I would love to throw $2000 at this thing and have it go 30mph. I was hoping to find a used motor for around $100-200, slap it in and go.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfjet52 View Post
I'm looking for both speed and torque, from what I've read on this forum a 36v motor will do that when installed on a 48v cart.

I'm not willing to buy a new motor, I was actually looking around for a used one out of a 36v CC.
I put this theory out there back when I started putting 48v to a 36v motor (cart).
Several bgw members have confirmed it works exactly as described. Just find a stock 36v series motor and put it in your SERIES cart.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
golfjet52
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Which motor/controller do you have?
I really don't know. I'm guessing its all stock, I'd have to get under it and look. It does about 16-18mph on a flat road. The small hills bring it down to about 10mph.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Actually I was asking plasterface guy, my next post was to you.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
golfjet52
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I put this theory out there back when I started putting 48v to a 36v motor (cart).
Several bgw members have confirmed it works exactly as described. Just find a stock 36v series motor and put it in your SERIES cart.
Exactly, but i'm having a hard time locating the stock 36v motor. Any ideas?

I have a 36v EZGO motor I'm getting ready to sell, hoping to come out even after finding a CC motor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car