lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
LKNclubcar
Not Yet Wild

Default 1979 Club Car has loose steering

Hi everyone, this is my first official post. A big thanks in advance to all the help that comes my way!!

That being said, I have a 1979 Club Car that I recently inherited, she's old but she runs like a champ!! However, while still functional, the steering has some play it in, I'd probably say its free from about 11-1 while turning. I've been searching a lot of threads and reading about all the rack & pinions and such and how there really isn't a means of adjusting, but I was wondering if there is anything that I could do on my particular model?

Thanks again in advance!!
LKNclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: 1979 Club Car has loose steering

Welcome to BGW LKN!

For a 30 year old cart, you may have to expect stuff like that!
That being said...
I assume you had someone move the wheel back and forth, while you inspected the front end... yes?
(any loose bushings, tie rod, drag link etc.)

If so... your steering gear box may just be worn!

I checked my CC dealers site to see if the older steering gear boxes were still available... to no avail!

BUT... one thing I did see that was available is a "Steering Adjusting Screw"
for 76 to 93 Club Car electric Part # 1011368

My manuals are too new, and don't show it,
Maybe someone with an older manual might be able to get you some info on what that screw does!

It's a start!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
LKNclubcar
Not Yet Wild

yes yes, very true... it was expected that there would be some maintenance. I did have someone turn the wheel back and forth and couldn't really pin point where the slop was. I might try it again and look at it a bit more extensively this time. I will definitely look into that Adjusting Screw, I'm sure it and a few other parts may need some attention. Thanks for the manual and parts ideas! I didn't even think to see if I could find a manual.

Thanks again!
LKNclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
buckfifty98
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNclubcar View Post
yes yes, very true... it was expected that there would be some maintenance. I did have someone turn the wheel back and forth and couldn't really pin point where the slop was. I might try it again and look at it a bit more extensively this time. I will definitely look into that Adjusting Screw, I'm sure it and a few other parts may need some attention. Thanks for the manual and parts ideas! I didn't even think to see if I could find a manual.

Thanks again!
I had the body off my 1971 Caroche for a while and cleaned a lot of gunk off the steering box, etc. Here is a picture of mine. It may not be like yours but I assumed the screw in the left-middle of the top of the box is for adjusting it. On the right hand side of the box, in this view, there is a filler plug. I used an old fashioned oil can to pump 75 weight gear oil into it. It didn't have a drop in it. Tough to get to with the body on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart tylercamera 042.jpg (49.1 KB, 24 views)
buckfifty98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car