lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Jwc1621
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Alltrax XCT48400 PDS Setting Questions

Did a rebuild on this cart and the life of the stock motor was short lived since it was the original from 04 and in rough shape. Just replaced with a D&D 170-500-0001 and I am having some issues getting the cart to run over 20mph. I was doing 26mph with the stock motor before it departed. I know originally ScottyB set my controller up to run on the stock motor but now that I've switched Im wondering if there are some default setups for this motor. I've gone in and tried to set some throttle adjustments but it still is not doing what I believe it should. Oddly enough when I check "enable speed limit" and set the RPM to 6k the cart will not go above 10mph, so I disabled that and consequently I cannot see the RPM on the motor. I have some questions listed below as well as the cart setup. Any help or advice you guys can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2004 EZGO TXT PDS
42v- 7 T105 Trojan Batteries with 4g ScottyB cables
Alltrax XCT48400PDS Controller/HD Solenoid
22" Tires/14" Wheels
5" Drop Axle Lift
Genesis 300 Rear Seat
D&D 170-500-0001

Running conditions are dead flat as this cart is just used to cruise the neighborhood.

Questions:
- On D&Ds website they state all of their motors will run on 36/48 volts, however on the label of my motor it only shows 36v. Does that mean this motor is not compatible wit 48v? Is this the right motor for my setup?
- When I "enable speed limit" the cart only runs 10mph. Does this mean my speed sensor is bad?
- There is a magnet pole selector in the Alltrax software of 4 or 8? What should this setting be?
- Is there a preset mapping for this motor?
- What is the max safe running RPM for this motor?
- Can I raise the KSI voltage in the Alltrax and get more speed?
- With the pedal to the floor i am only gettting 80-81% throttle according to Alltrax software, should I adjust this throttle setting from 20 down to 15?10?5?

Sorry if any of these questions are stupid, I'm in the learning phase with this controller.......
Jwc1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax XCT48400 PDS Setting Questions

D&D has some very strict program requirements for this motor and controller combination. I suggest you not run the motor until you contact D&D and get the set up requirements from them.
Did you buy the motor new? I'm shocked but not surprised that they did not provide you with the necessary map and setting information when you ordered.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwc1621 View Post
Questions:
1. On D&Ds website they state all of their motors will run on 36/48 volts, however on the label of my motor it only shows 36v. Does that mean this motor is not compatible wit 48v?

2. Is this the right motor for my setup?

3. When I "enable speed limit" the cart only runs 10mph. Does this mean my speed sensor is bad?

4. There is a magnet pole selector in the Alltrax software of 4 or 8? What should this setting be?

5. Is there a preset mapping for this motor?

6. What is the max safe running RPM for this motor?

7. Can I raise the KSI voltage in the Alltrax and get more speed?

8. With the pedal to the floor i am only gettting 80-81% throttle according to Alltrax software, should I adjust this throttle setting from 20 down to 15?10?5?
To start with: What Scotty said. Contact D&D asap.

To answer your questions:
1. DC traction motors like we have in our carts are not hypersensitive to voltage and will run reliably from about 36V to about 48V. I fact motors rated at 36V tend to run cooler at 42V and 48V due to fewer amps needed to do same amount of work.

2. Probably not, or at least in my opinion. It is a high speed motor combined with over sized tires.
Your 22" tall tires reduce the torque available where rubber meets road by a bit over 18% and the D&D motor you have has 10% less torque that a stock PDS motor, so your net torque loss across the RPM spectrum is over 28%
I believe you would have gotten better results with a standard speed motor that had increased torque to offset the torque loss imposed by the taller tires.

3. Probably not. If you are getting an RPM reading when speed limit is enabled, the speed sensor is good.
Note: The controller implements the Field Map differently when speed limit is enabled. (Uses RPM as well as amps draw)

4. Select 8-Pole. If 4-Pole is selected, the controller will think the motor is spinning twice as fast as it actually is.
You may have seen D&D mentioning the speed sensor had 4 N/S poles which is to say it has 4 pairs of pole which translates to 8 individual poles 4N and 4S.

5. Yes. Get it from D&D.

6. It depends on who you talk to at D&D. I got 6000RPM from Vic and 6500RPM from Eric for my motor. 6000RPM is 31.6 MPH with 22" tires and 12.44:1 gears while 6500RPM is 34.2 MPH. Of course, you probably don't have to worry too much about reaching the lower number at 42V with 22" tall tires.

7. Changing KSI voltage doesn't change speed.

8. You are talking about two separate things.
a. The Throttle Rate is how fast the controller's output reacts to pedal movement. 20% is probably about right for your setup, but try other settings.
b. With the pedal on the floor, you ought to be getting 100% throttle. If you are not, clear the the throttle auto-calibrate. (see attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clear Throttle Auto-Cal.jpg (53.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
Jwc1621
Getting Wild

Club Car

Scotty/Johnny,
AS EXPECTED, you guys are nails! I will contact D&D in the AM to get the appropriate mapping. Thank you again for the information. I will keep you posted on the outcome. As a final question, what should I reasonably expect to get for speed from this setup with the correct mapping?
Old 10-31-2016, 07:53 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When I had this motor in my 42v PDS with XCT control and 20" tires it topped out at 25 mph
Old 10-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Jwc1621
Getting Wild

Club Car

Spoke to D&D this AM. Apparently they do not have a map for that controller and motor combination. I am going to try Alltrax when they open.....
Old 10-31-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It sounds like D&D is rethinking their application. I have an email with the pictured program settings from D&D showing the acceptable settings for this combination motor/controller sent to me 6 moths ago. I can share this with you via email if you have no other choices.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Jwc1621
Getting Wild

Club Car

Scotty,
That would be great! I'll send you a pm with my email.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
Jwc1621
Getting Wild

Club Car

Boys,
I need more help I ran the cart again with "Speed Limit Enabled" in the Alltrax software. I am not getting any RPM reading and I am guessing that means the speed sensor is bad. My question is does anyone know what speed sensor I need? Again it is a D&D 170-500-0001. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Do you have the wiring connected correctly?
I think you need a speed sensor from D&D, they charged me a lot for one once

Anyway call them and ask them
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO