lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
Ced
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 clutch removal

I've got clutch problems with my g29. The cart will run upto 13-14mph but the Rpms stay way to high as if the belt is slipping or it's not going in high gear. It has the updated clutches and belt already installed,however, when fully released the primary clutch hits the battery box area. When fully engaged the belt doesn't ride high enough in the groves to fully load the engine. It's as if the shieves won't close enough and are open to far. I'm thinking I need to remove the primary to inspect it. How does one go about this. Does the engine need raised or lowered to access the clutch bolt in the center. As it sits now I can't get a socket on it due to the tight space between the clutch and battery box. Thanks ahead for all input.
Ced is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2016, 02:32 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 clutch removal

which clutch you have? newer style with rubber cap? it requires a special "puller bolt". the clutch is actually hitting the battery tray? as far as the interference with battery tray goes, i put the left rear wheel on a automotive service ramp (the kind you drive up on), and put some weight in the bagwell to compress the left side rear suspension. what part number on the new belt? part number on old belt? maybe post a pic?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:40 AM   #3
Ced
Not Yet Wild

It is the new style with rubber cap. Yes, when fully disengaged the clutch housing is hitting the battery box. Belt has been changed with 3 other identical carts. Part # starts with j55.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Never seen that. Have a picture?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Be careful with clutches on the G29. Both the primary and secondary need to be replaced as a set in order for the drive belt to fit properly. And the belt for the new clutches is slightly shorter than the original one. Running with the new style clutch on the primary with the original Team clutch on the secondary will give you problems.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:10 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

oops, forgot about that. yes, they have to be both the same type with the correct belt. others have said "works great for me", but knowing the correct belt for team clutch & fbt clutch is different width & length, seems like a sure-fire way to invite problems to me.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
ATOMIC_BADBOY
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Unbolt the rear shocks choke cable and starter wires and jack the back of the cart up leaving the axle on the ground. As long as u replace the drive clutch with another team clutch you'll be fine. Check to make sure your drive clutch is tight. Maybe some pics will help
ATOMIC_BADBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #8
Ced
Not Yet Wild

For anyone out there wondering, I found that the centrifugal weights set that is splined on the clutch shaft was not seated in far enough. I removed the clutch per instruction above and drove the weight set in tighter with a hammer and a block of wood. This alone solved all my belt slipping problems. Thanks again for all the guidance.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha