lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #31
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Electric fuel pump

One of the things I did when I restored my carts was to just go ahead and replace the secondaries even though I didn't know if they were bad or not. They were old, they don't last forever, I had the money, so I just said screw it and replaced them just so I knew they were new. As such, I can't say I know a ton about them.

That being said your secondary does seems very peculiar in how it is resting. The points you speak to are somewhat touching at rest. On my carts, each point is pretty much lined up with the "valley" on the opposite side. One could reason that, under load, your cart can't overcome that and that clutch is holding you back. It would be tough to test that though unless you can figure out some way to watch that clutch while the cart is actually driving and not just jacked up. This is just a complete guess though. If you don't mind waiting a couple of days I will be at the camp this weekend and will make it a point of talking about thi with a bonefide cart guy there. He knows those clutches inside and out. I will post what he thinks.

Those are "comet" style clutches that are used on a lot of different machines. You may want to do some research to see if anyone has anything more out there about them. You also may want to start a new thread in the HD section just about that clutch, to include the pics. I think some of the later HDs used comets too. TEW and Eldo may know something about them.

On my clutches the points are definitely on one side and not the other, just like yours are. Googling pics of those clutches reveals the same thing.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #32
Lochlin
Gone Wild

http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/golf-c...cart-clutches/

Give that a read when you get a moment. There is a bit of information there about driven clutches gone bad.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #33
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

If his clutch is a comet it has the hexagon shaped weights inside of it. They are not symetrical. I've had mine apart and noticed if you put them in the wrong way, it will change the clutch profile. Really I'm not 100% sure I put my weights back in right, but it seems right. If I remember right the bump/notch goes out and the pic in the manual wasn't much help. Also I found a 3/8" bolt that was jammed down in it. Nobody knows how that got in there.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #34
Lochlin
Gone Wild

That's the primary though, right? No weights in the secondary. Comet made both.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #35
tj086
Not Yet Wild

yes belt fits perfectly. Im talking if you look close at the points the clutch, I am missing two of them if you look close you can see hoe one has a plastic tip and one has nothing. Does yours have them on all angular pieces?
tj086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #36
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
That's the primary though, right? No weights in the secondary. Comet made both.
Yes, was talking about the primary clutch. Didn't know they made the secondary too.

Ok. I do see one of the cam shoes missing. They used to sell just the shoes but I don't know if you can find them now or not. That surely would have something to do with the belt jumping around on the secondary and probably is putting something in a bind somewhere since you probably only have one shoe making contact.

Even if the secondary doesn't move at all, the belt is on the outside of the sheave so you are in low gear, at least when the engine is off. Maybe when your running fast and the belt/clutches go to gear down, they can't because the cam isn't riding properly on the shoes or is in a bind and the belt is stuck towards the middle of the sheave, which means it is still in high or mid gear. That sounds logical to me.

When you first crank up the cart, try to pull a hill, but go as slow as you can so you can keep the belt on the outside of the secondary sheave. Very important to go slow. After you start to pull the hill you can give it gas, but keep the engine rpms down because if the belt goes towards the middle of the secondary it may not want to come back out. Hope that makes sense. Let us know how it pulls like that.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar