lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #11
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Default Re: Electric fuel pump

The float needle valve is #10 on your diagram. It may have fallen off, jammed in the open position or the tip is just worn out and not sealing. I don't think its just going to be a float bowl adjustment if that is the adjustment your talking about. I'm thinking there is a retaining clip that holds the needle to the float, but I don't see it in the diagram. Something has to attach the needle to the float.

#27 looks like the main jet. #25 looks like the fuel adjustment but adjusting that isn't going to help your flooding problem unless you turn it all the way in and it happens to cut all the fuel off.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #12
tj086
Not Yet Wild

Talking Re: Electric fuel pump

Ok yes you were right! I just adjusted the prong up on my needle float and it shuts the gas off perfectly. Thanks for your time and knowledge this has been a headache and would not have figured it out with out you!!
tj086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Sure no problem.

Just so you know, you may have another problem if you adjusted the float wrong, such as running out of gas or flooding. Most float bowl carbs will adjust this way and if you don't have the exact specs this is a general rule of thumb:
If you have the carb off and the bowl off, carefully turn the carb upside down and look at the bowl from the side. It should be parallel with the bottom of the carb. If not you should adust the prong to where the bowl is parallel. Some types of automobile carbs don't like to be turned upside down.

Also you can adjust the low speed idle mixture screw if needed:
First turn the screw clockwise and count the turns until it lightly seats. This is in case you have to adjust it back to where you started from. Always do this with any carb. After seated turn the screw counter clockwise 1 to 1 1/4 turns.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #14
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Great work!

I run 4 psi pumps on my carts. Guys get a little excited when their pumps start flooding out and think that the pumps are too big. Nope. You can stop 4 psi with your finger. A carb can do do it easy.

What's nice is that, now, so long as that pump is humming, you know that getting gas is not the issue. Poor fuel is a very common issue with these.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Thinking about this a bit more, you still may want to look for a vacuum leak somewhere. That oil pump nipple that Backyard mentioned in that other post might be worth a look. It's been my experience that, when vacuum is normal, excess gas will be sucked into th engine causing it to flood, not be expelled into the air cleaner. That's just my experience though. I can certainly be wrong too. By all means, I am not trying to be a Negative Nancy. Just trying to throw some cosiderations out there.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #16
tj086
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy Re: Electric fuel pump

Ok so i rode it today all day long and it preformed really well in mid and high end (16 mph) but it has no low end power:-(. I know its not supposed to have a lot but shouldn't it have enough to go up some simi decent incline? Let me ask this question when going up a hill shouldn't it have enough power to spin a wheel if both wheels have traction still in the grass? I go up a slight incline on side of my driveway and it just bogs down in the grass i figured it would at least try to go up it and spin a wheel in the grass at least if its not getting traction not that I'm trying to spin out just that i feel like it should at least try to go up a little hill. cause the engine is all new i just can't figure it out. I adjusted the carb like you said and it is purring great and not missing at all and starts right up as soon as i touch the pedal just nothing on the bottom end.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #17
tj086
Not Yet Wild

I also plugged both the oil and the vacuum line on the intake. i also jack rear end up and pushed gas down and both clutches work great with the belt going all the way out and in on both.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #18
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Mine runs 17mph top end and pulls a hill good but it doesn't pull the hill at top speed. It does slow down but still pulls the hill. Does your still pull the hill?

When the engines rpm drops, there is a gearing ratio change (lower gear) that happens with the primary and secondary clutches. This is normal and what gets you up the hill.

I don't think I can stomp on mine and spin a wheel in the grass or even loose gravels unless I'm dead stopped maybe. I have noticed if I go on the side of a hill and turn sharply up the hill, the wheels will spin some.

The only thing I can tell you to try is put some weight on the cart and pull the hill. I'm talking about a few 200 lb people loaded up.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #19
Lochlin
Gone Wild

This is where I get a little fuzzy since I have upgraded my carts a bit. Both of my Columbias go 20-22 mph BUT that's because I converted to Mikuni carbs and put bigger fuel pumps on them. Still, like yours, my 4 wheeler doesn't have a very strong low end. It's slow off the line. It'll pull a hill but it's definitely sluggish when doing do. I always just assumed that that was the design of the clutches.....smooth and steady, not a whole lot of torque needed. I think it's because these things were designed to go hole to hole on relatively flat terrain and not through the woods like some of the newer buggies are.

My 3 wheeler is a different story. It thinks it's a dragster for some reason. It's the same year and has the same set-up as the 4 wheeler but, for some reason, it has a lot more torque. A previous owner may have bored the cylinder or something. I never did the top end on that one so I have no idea what's in it.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #20
tj086
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Re: Electric fuel pump

Ok than there is something wrong. No it won't go ups decently big incline on a blacktop road at any speed if its steep enough lol. it just acts really sluggish from 0-5mph.
i know the carb is defiantly right now after playing with the carb for hours rebuilding it then tweeking it until its ran great. so i don't think its a gas prob any more its purrs just right and never misses.

I can rue out compression after i checked it, gas and the carb. What else is there?

What i know is the cart has a big vibration when first taking off. How can you tell if the driven clutch is bad? i drove it with the rear hood up looking down on the clutches and seen the driven side vibration a lot and i don't think it is staying compressed long enough to keep it in a low gear to climb anything there for driving great after 5 mph. But would a secondary clutch make the who cart act this sluggish?

Also the belt is wobbling around on the secondary a little but seems fine while in the motor clutch primary side.

The cart has new rings and piston, new cylinder , new crank, new seals, new rod, and bearings, along with new reeds new intake manifold, carb rebuild kit, new coil, new wiring harness new drive belt.

ps. the only reason i bought all these parts is because i bought this all torn apart for nothing so i just have money it the parts to get it going.and this is the first time i ever drove or seen it run was yesterday.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar