lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #11
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 96 regen 1 club car controler problems

Quote:
is it also lacking the motor pigtail wires
The pigtail is there - used for dynamic/regen braking & hill brake - but old Regen controllers don't mind running unplugged. The braking goes away & downhill speed increases when unplugged (unlike IQ which goes into 8 mph limp mode).

Quote:
You will likely need to solder a new Hall effect sensor
I've only seen Regen 1 type sensors on eBay - maybe inventory disposal. Tahoe would know if they are still available, no doubt. So to conclude - 15v to an old but serviceable sensor would be OK.

So....first impressions/summary of a "Regen 1 to IQ kit" would be:

1) Wiring Harness
2) Run/Tow switch & wires (if not incl with harness)
3) IQ Controller
3) Any "functional" potentiometer (even your old one) with 5K-0 ohms performance intact.

Does that list look right? If so, here's the "trick" question - would an IQ controller programmed to speed code 4 (since there are no speed magnets for Regens) perform at IQ speeds if converted with the above items?
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #12
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Speed sensor and motor are compatible as long as you don't try to install a high speed magnet. Only reason that won't work is because it doesn't fit in a regen1 or regen2 motor. The OEM magnet puts out 8 pulses per rpm. Same as the IQ motor. You would have to add a tow switch and an IQ wire harness. The potbox won't work correctly. You need an mcor.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

For all that are interested, I will soon offer a Regen1 and Regen2 To IQ conversion kit on the Web store containing everything down to the last nut and bolt. Youll be able to use the controller of your choice. It wont be included as there are so many options. If I can ever quit working on golf cars long enough I'll post it on the Web.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #14
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaryl View Post
yea I meant amp. there was no run tow switch. I'm really leaning toward the whole swap now and be done with it. how much you think I'm looking at to do that? (IQ drive) like mid 2000 models
You won't regret it
Old 07-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You may not have to change the throttle device if you use a XCT control which accepts any and all throttle inputs. Also stock magnet (8 pole) gets 22 mph on stock IQ.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

For the Regen2 with Multi-Step pot to be a plug and play would also need a 3-Pin + 2-Pin MCOR (IQ) harness to 6-pin Multi-step pot connector adapter harness, right?

If You go the XCT route You can always disable the speed sensor if it ever fails and it will operate like the DCX controller did, right scottyb?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
For the Regen2 with Multi-Step pot to be a plug and play would also need a 3-Pin + 2-Pin MCOR (IQ) harness to 6-pin Multi-step pot connector adapter harness, right?

If You go the XCT route You can always disable the speed sensor if it ever fails and it will operate like the DCX controller did, right scottyb?
Yes, and it can be set to work with 4 pole magnet and set motor RPM to safe limit if desired.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #18
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
For all that are interested, I will soon offer a Regen1 and Regen2 To IQ conversion kit on the Web store containing everything down to the last nut and bolt.
Cool. Who knows how many Regens will "crawl out of the woodwork" if you do make a kit (less controller)....should be interesting to say the least? I guess the big unknown is speed using an old Regen motor. My motor has always been solid - so really there's no reason to believe that would change with a system/drive change-out. Might even approach "Scotty XCT speed" using that fancy controller.

Looks like soon it will be finding a way of furtively stashing enough of my weekly allowance to take the plunge.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #19
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
Cool. Who knows how many Regens will "crawl out of the woodwork" if you do make a kit (less controller)....should be interesting to say the least? I guess the big unknown is speed using an old Regen motor. My motor has always been solid - so really there's no reason to believe that would change with a system/drive change-out. Might even approach "Scotty XCT speed" using that fancy controller.

Looks like soon it will be finding a way of furtively stashing enough of my weekly allowance to take the plunge.
The motor should be fine. It's a GE motor. They used basically the same motor case the entire duration of the time they used GE motors. The internals between your Regen motor and an IQ motor are nearly the exact same and work fine with each other.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car