lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
hmcnav
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart goes a few feet then stops.... Still

It started all of sudden before Christmas school break, took kids to school got back cart and nothing. It wouldn't even move,click, etc. I moved it to the street and called the wife for a tow (we live 1.2 miles away). When I got it to the street and started tugging here and there looking for loose wire or something. Tried it again and got home no problem. Later that day it died just as I got it home. It would go a few feet then stop. I would here the click when pushing the pedal then then travel a few feet then stop as if I cut the power off.

Since then I replace the F/R rocker, which was a few weeks later. Tested and it went around the block no problem, I thought problem solved. Next day, it all came back and couldn't make it out of the driveway.

I just replaced the micro switch, tested it and it still happening, but now I don't hear the solenoid/controller click.

Everything now is pretty much new aside from key switch. New 48V batteries, New Cables all the way around and new Solenoid/Controller from Scotty B.

I used it twice a day 3-5 days a week for a 1.2 mile trek to take kids to school. I haven't traveled a distance longer 2 straight miles.

What should be my next step, the last 2 parts were cheap and easy to replace. I hate to have a bad controller after using it less than 3 months of occasional use.
hmcnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart goes a few feet then stops.... Still

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcnav View Post
It started all of sudden before Christmas school break, took kids to school got back cart and nothing. It wouldn't even move,click, etc. I moved it to the street and called the wife for a tow (we live 1.2 miles away). When I got it to the street and started tugging here and there looking for loose wire or something. Tried it again and got home no problem. Later that day it died just as I got it home. It would go a few feet then stop. I would here the click when pushing the pedal then then travel a few feet then stop as if I cut the power off.

Since then I replace the F/R rocker, which was a few weeks later. Tested and it went around the block no problem, I thought problem solved. Next day, it all came back and couldn't make it out of the driveway.

I just replaced the micro switch, tested it and it still happening, but now I don't hear the solenoid/controller click.

Everything now is pretty much new aside from key switch. New 48V batteries, New Cables all the way around and new Solenoid/Controller from Scotty B.

I used it twice a day 3-5 days a week for a 1.2 mile trek to take kids to school. I haven't traveled a distance longer 2 straight miles.

What should be my next step, the last 2 parts were cheap and easy to replace. I hate to have a bad controller after using it less than 3 months of occasional use.
What make, yr, and model cart is this?
There may another intermittent micro switch - does the solenoid click when the cart WON"T go?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
hmcnav
Not Yet Wild

The click is very faint right now. I left the cover off controller and had rear end lifted. The controller light is green, but when you press the pedal it turns red and blinks 6 times.

The cart is an 2003 EZGO TXT with Alltrax DCX400 and solenoid is orange with SOL-200. The click used be very loud and distinct, not you can barely hear it.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
hmcnav
Not Yet Wild

I just a cable and got an old computer. I have attached screen shots.
When I hold pedal down the error goes from 0x20 to 0x30 then back to 0x00 when I release pedal.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The 6 red flashes means the voltage the DCX controller is measuring between the B- and B+ terminals on the controller is less than what the Under Voltage slider is set to.

Check the voltage between those two terminals on the controller and see if it is, in fact, dropping below the 20V slider setting.

If it is, you have a problem outside the controller.
If it isn't, your controller has a problem.

------
Give Alltrax a call for the meaning of the 0x20 and 0x30 error flags.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
hmcnav
Not Yet Wild

I checked the voltages in 4 places.

This is reading after pressing the pedal with red lights flashing. When Green Light is on and solid they all read about the same at 53.

#1 Battery Pack - 53.2
#2 B-/+ - 0.3-0.5
#3 2 big post on solenoid 53.2
#4 2 small post 48.7

Is it the Solenoid? I checked connections to the motor all are good.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
hmcnav
Not Yet Wild

I found this link - http://golfcardr.hubpages.com/hub/Ho...-Bad-Solenoid#

On a typical solenoid there are four post called terminals. There are usually two large and two small. Battery voltage is applied to the two small terminals to activate the solenoid which then connects the two large terminals together. From time to time the two large terminals get buggered up and the solenoid needs to be replaced. To check the solenoid is fairly simple though.

First thing we need to do is disconnect any cables from the two large terminals. Be sure to wrap the cable ends in tape and keep them separate from each other. Then set your voltmeter to OHMS and place a probe on each large terminals(see first image below). With the key off and the cart in a neutral position there should be no reading. Now with the cart in foreword position and key on step on the accelerator, you should hear a click coming from the solenoid, if you do then set you voltmeter to OHMS and place a probe on each large terminals(see second image below). You should have a reading of 0 to 0.4 ohms. Anything higher and it means that solenoid has buggered up contacts and should be replaced.

If you did not here a click coming from your solenoid then grab your voltmeter and set it to dc volts on the 200 scale and place a probe on each of the small terminals. With the key on and the cart in foreword step on the accelerator. You should see pretty close to full battery voltage. If you do see full battery voltage and there is no click, the coil inside the solenoid has failed and will need to be replaced. If your meter remains at 0 then there is a problem somewhere else in the cart.

So when I did this I hear no click- and voltage is full at small terminals.

Large Terminals read 0.0 with and with-out resistor read zero

So looks like the Soleniod coil blew, What caused or causes that so that I can prevent it in the future because I didnt even get 3+ months out of this.

BTW - Thx
Old 01-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Use a HD 200a solenoid with resistor and diode. See bottom of the page here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

Basically if you bring 36v + to the small post with the red wire and 36v- to the small post with black or blue wire on it the solenoid should engage with an audible click sending high amperage 36v to the control B+
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid 09-14jpg.jpg (242.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #9
hmcnav
Not Yet Wild

Gotchya, Ive tested and I hear no clicks and I am getting full voltage at small post and nothing at large posts. I will be ordering another Solenoid this week.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Your problem may not be the solenoid.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO