lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
roxyrose08
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default wireing steering wheel horn

hey guys, Im buildig up a 02 ds , i picked up a custom steering wheel with a horn switch, and I bought the dixie airhorn kit(dukes of hazard). My question is how do I run the wire up the steerin colum without it getting tanngled when I turn the steering wheel?? has anyone done this before? . thanks
roxyrose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: wireing steering wheel horn

I think your club car has a shaft cover running over the outside of the main column if I remember correctly. If so just feed the wire thru it from the wheel down to the floorboard.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's BoneCracker View Post
I think your club car has a shaft cover running over the outside of the main column if I remember correctly. If so just feed the wire thru it from the wheel down to the floorboard.
It's a pretty snug fit on the column, I'd be worried about it chaffing not to mention feeding it through to the horn contact at the wheel. Most CC's I've seen with a horn use a momentary switch mounted on the floorboard to the left of the brake pedal.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastercarter View Post
It's a pretty snug fit on the column, I'd be worried about it chaffing not to mention feeding it through to the horn contact at the wheel. Most CC's I've seen with a horn use a momentary switch mounted on the floorboard to the left of the brake pedal.

FC
Thats how I did mine is on the floor. But I think he has a custom steering wheel
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's BoneCracker View Post
Thats how I did mine is on the floor. But I think he has a custom steering wheel
Custom steering wheel I also have Doc. The problem is the clearance between the hub and column. Custom wheel or otherwise, there is no clearance. The horn pad has to provide the + pulse to the horn. It simply won't work if the +wire is constantly wrapped around the steering column and rubs it's way to ground. You can work it other way, supply the horn with 12v + and use the horn push to supply -. Same deal. As soon as the wire wears through the horn is sounding.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
roxyrose08
Getting Wild

Club Car

Ya I tried to put it in the colum , it was to snug... oh well. maybe I will do a semi truck style cable (on the roof) but I was thinking of doing a quick release system so that I can take my roof on and off to store the cart in my shed.I should star a new thread about removable roofs ,to get ideas
roxyrose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
mike45dfw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm also wanting to install a conventional horn button on a custom Grant wheel I plan to purchase. (EZGO DCS 2006) Is there sufficient clearance in the shaft housing for something like ribbon cable or t-stat wire..?
mike45dfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

There isn't enough room plus it'll twist when the steering wheel is turned. I don't believe it will work. I've thought about doing it also but just put it in the floorboard.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

trucks use 2 diffent set ups for there city horns...horn contacts at the steering wheel that rub a plate under the staering wheel, or the older versin had a wire running through the colomnu(it was hollow) to about half way down, then it had a contact in the side that still had a spring contact rub the shaft. and screwed in the case. then it was a simple wire to the relay. as far as the air horn in the roof....1/4 air line to a air valve. pull the rope and let it blast! whats even better......train horns! hook up a seperate air tnk to supply the horns with it own supply of air, run 1/2 line to a bal valve, so you can roll your signalls, or just blast on good one! then its a 1/2 line to suppy the 3 horns under the cab! as afar as i would suggest....unless you can get a adter plate for the sterring wheel, its a no go at this staition! you need a contact plate of some sort. if i rember right there are 2 holes cut in the floor under the mat. but i do know there is a factory hole under the mat fro the horn button to mount.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
mike45dfw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

well, at this point I guess I'll opt for a floorboard mount. I had planned to use the contact plate. I'm almost sure that it is available from Grant. I noticed yesterday that a hole already exists in the floorboard left side. I'm going to forget about the steering wheel horn button. I'd like to use a dual tone horn...will have to search for one.
mike45dfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car