lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
lotus197
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default tech direct club Nissan leaf battery pack system is a good idea?

I have a 2014 ezgo rxv with 600 amp navitas controller, 20 inch tires and a sound system that uses roughly 23 Amps. currently I’m able to do 30 mph with lead battery but I want to switch to lithium. I was thinking about buying two of these and I guess wiring them in parallel to achieve about 100 amp hours? I don’t need my golf cart to last all day but maybe an hour total. Just enough to do a 15 or 20 mile round-trip somewhere in the neighborhood At 25 to 30 miles an hour.

can you look at this following product and tell me does anybody know anything about this company? Is this a bad idea or is it a good idea I can’t get any reviews so I have no idea if I should buy it or run for the Hills. https://www.techdirectclub.com/48-vo...5-kwh-66ah-g2/

i’m not smart enough to make my own lithium pack unless somebody on this forum told me what exactly to buy part by part and gave me instructions on how to put it together in a video. I was looking at this option that I found online because it looks like it’s pretty dummy proof and looks like they also sell a DIY kit. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lotus197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: tech direct club Nissan leaf battery pack system is a good idea?

I have no idea about that pack but... I really do not like how they measured the capacity by draining it down to 2.5vpc... I may be wrong (and often am) but many of the people selling lithium measure them down to 3.0vpc for identifying the capacity. Your idea of two packs may be a good solution. The 'norm' seems to be 100ah or more lithium packs, so two of these should do well.

The BMS could be a problem though, max discharge of 120 amps. Your navitas 600 amp controller may pull more than that and the advert says the BMS is good for 120. Even if you connect two in parallel that's 240 amps and my Altrax 300 will draw higher than that briefly when starting from a dead stop according to my logs.

Sorry this is not much help... Hopefully someone else can provide better detail.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus197 View Post
i’m not smart enough to make my own lithium pack unless somebody on this forum told me what exactly to buy part by part and gave me instructions on how to put it together in a video. I was looking at this option that I found online because it looks like it’s pretty dummy proof and looks like they also sell a DIY kit. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this company?
I agree with bronsonj.

Also, they specify "Please note that this unit is for indoor use only." I would see if they have packs built specifically for golf carts. I know others on here have bought batteries from them, but don't recall seeing in the descriptions if they were for golf cart/outdoor use.

Have you looked through some of the lithium conversion threads, to see if it is something you could follow, to build one yourself?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
lotus197
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I tried to look around but I don’t see anything that’s clear and concise it looks like a bunch of jargon people working through problems which is kind of helpful. I really wish somebody would make a post on here about how to make a 14 module battery pack at over 100 amp hours using a Nissan leaf. Those leaf batteries look pretty easy to work but I don’t know all the parts needed. Like do I just buy 14 battery packs and wire them all together? Do I then hook up some kind of BMS and which one do I buy so I don’t burn my house down by overcharging on accident. I wish there was a resource somewhere showing me step-by-step how to assemble these things I wanted to be where I can make a 100 amp hour battery for my golf cart and be able to just plug it in and let it charge and let the charger shut off automatically like I currently have it with my lead. I don’t want to have to worry about balancing or overcharging or under charging, the stories I read about people over charging their batteries and burning the house down is a little worried. any resources out there that show you how to build a step-by-step battery system for your golf cart that is plug and play and leave it alone I would be interested in! I looked at those Direct replacement drop in options with the BMS built-in to each battery but the price at 100 amp hours is like North of 4k, that’s enough to make anyone depressed!

Old 08-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
lotus197
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default tech direct club Nissan leaf battery pack system is a good idea?

[QUOTE=bronsonj;1646369The BMS could be a problem though, max discharge of 120 amps. Your navitas 600 amp controller may pull more than that and the advert says the BMS is good for 120. Even if you connect two in parallel that's 240 amps and my Altrax 300 will draw higher than that briefly when starting from a dead stop according to my logs.

[/QUOTE]

bronsonj,

, when I’m looking at these lithium batteries can you tell me what exactly which numbers I need to be looking at to get the full potential out of my navitas? currently I have The following battery below and I’m getting about 32 miles an hourIMG_5921.jpg

Old 08-22-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus197 View Post
bronsonj,

, when I’m looking at these lithium batteries can you tell me what exactly which numbers I need to be looking at to get the full potential out of my navitas? currently I have The following battery below and I’m getting about 32 miles an hour
The amp hours on lead acid is a measure of capacity at a given discharge rate, not a measure of max discharge amps. The lead acid can discharge many more amps for an instantaneous max draw than the capacity number shows.

The lithium power cells normally handle 5C to 10C continuous discharge rates. So the 66ah lithium battery should be fine for a 330 amp draw, 130 ah battery would be fine for 650 amp draw. But that's instantaneous, you want more capacity to give you more range.

It says on the advert that the max discharge is 130 amps and when you get to the BMS section it states 120 amp max. So that tells me the BMS is your most restrictive component on that pack. If you pull 300 amps through a BMS made to handle 120 it'll fry the BMS.

As for how many amps you need, what does your Navitas tell you? The biggest amp draw will be from a dead stop, not max speed. If the Navitas can give you a log, then line up the cart on a hill, turn logging on and mash and hold the throttle from dead stop. The peak draw is your instantaneous or pulse draw. Whatever battery you get needs to be able to provide that much current in a pulse or instantaneous fashion.

The Lithium Manganese chemistry of the Chevy Volt cells allows for 10C discharge rates and 30C pulse (5 second) rates. I run a 94 amp hour pack, so 10C is 940 amp discharge as the max continuous draw. My carts peak draw of approx 245 amps (that's the most I've seen so far on a log) won't tax the battery. The Leaf packs are a similar chemistry if I remember correctly. so I would expect a 10C discharge rate to be OK there too.

BUT FOR THE SHORT ANSWER... more capacity is better for range and easier on the battery so your battery will live longer. A 100 ah capacity (or more) lithium battery should provide what you need in your cart. It will need to provide around 300 amp Instantaneous (aka Pulse) discharge, but your Navitas log will give you the exact number.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Get organized and just start reading and researching if your going to build your own pack. I was thinking the same thing wishing there was a step by step when I put together this build thread. Its not perfect and here's a lot of other ways to build lithium packs out there but here's one option for you. I strongly recommend you have a thorough understanding before you get started.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...7&share_type=t

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:16 PM   #8
lotus197
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

hey thanks for that information, tomorrow I will take the cart out and try to get a amp reading, i’ll let you know what I find out.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #9
RosscoB
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just put one of those batteries in my cart with no issues yet. It’s only been a little more than a day, but it seems to be working well.
RosscoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #10
Bhudda_ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Will you tell us which pack you put in and an update of how it’s going?
Bhudda_ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO