lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
twstdFUBAR
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Columbia Carb linkage, please help!

Good evening everyone, I am new to the forum and I need your help. I recently bought my Par Car for $140 but the motor was in a box completely torn apart and missing parts. Long story short and many headaches later I am finally putting the motor in and have no idea how the linkage goes on the carb. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (18.0 KB, 0 views)
twstdFUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
twstdFUBAR
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Re: Columbia Carb linkage, please help!

Here is another picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
twstdFUBAR
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

And another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (17.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
twstdFUBAR
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

And here is some of the misc I have left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

You may want to post the year of your cart. Generally, the carbs all go on the same way but I don't know the "newer" Par Cars very well and I want to make sure I am not giving you bad advice.

It is really tough to describe how those carbs attach. Of note is that a confusing part of these carbs is that they are backwards from most. With most carbs, the throttle is closed when nothing is acting on it. In other words, if you get a new one out of a box the throttle is closed in it's resting position. With the Walbro carbs used on most Par Cars this is exactly opposite. If you get a new one out of the box the throttle is sprung so that the carb is at full throttle at rest. The cart's throttle linkage pulls the throttle closed when the accelerator pedal is pressed. When the gas pedal is pressed the linkage pushes the carb's throttle open. I know it's confusing but if you can get yourself to understand how these carbs are unique to most others it could be helpful.

It sounds like you can use a repair manual so see if you can find one here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/columbia-parcars/

Here is how to connect things the factory correct way:

1. It looks like you have your carb on the cart right. I have found that it's easier to attach the linkages (throttle and choke) prior to attaching the carb to the cart.

2. The choke linkage is simple. You shouldn't need much help with that.

3. The carb's throttle lever should have two holes and your linkage should be curved 180 degrees with a very slight 90 degree bend at the very end. It's not unusual for that last 90 degree bend to break. If so bend a new one on.

4. The linkage needs threaded in one hole, reversed, and threaded through the other hole in the opposite direction as the first.

5. That little 90 degree bend should hook onto the throttle lever and enable the level to be pushed closed when the gas pedal isn't pushed.

Here another way of connecting things:

1. Go to an auto parts store and get a cable of cable stops (see pic)

2. Straighten the hooks on your linkage.

3. Put your linkage into just one throttle lever hole, with a cable stop on each side.

4. Pull the throttle lever closed and tighten the stops with them being flush against each side of the lever.

Sorry about the long response. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cable stop.jpg (20.7 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
twstdFUBAR
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

I was told it is an 86 based off the vin. I was trying to find color pictures to give me a reference on how everything goes back together, but I have had no luck.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

I would venture to say that most on this forum will say just disconnect the governor and oil pump and mix your oil with your gas simply because the governor is a pain to set correctly and when your oil pump goes out so does your engine.

Make sure you have enough resistance going to the ignition module or you may burn it up like everybody else does. Just trying to save you some money. Those aren't cheap.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:27 PM   #8
twstdFUBAR
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Since the oil pump covers the ignition module and keeps the center magnet from coming off, should I just put a little oil in the line and connect the in/out lines together to keep it lubricated?

What would be a good way to make sure the module has enough restistance? Also, what's a good mixing ratio? 50:1?
Old 06-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
twstdFUBAR
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

For starters I will remove the governor cable, oil pump cable and pick up 2 cable stops. Just should clean things up a ton and get rid of the mess. Thanks for the advise Lochlin and backyard. Any more pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

I was about to say you may be able to use the regular cover in place of the oil pump but I can't find any for sale.

Connecting the lines in such a way that it only pumps its own oil back and forth sounds good. I'd probably take the oil line off the intake and just stick it back in the reservoir so it pumps back there and recycles it or install a "T" in the oil line just below the reservoir so you have a place to stick the return line. At least you could change the oil if it ever breaks down and gets black.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...ml#post1289556

85:1 is the ratio for all the earlier models (non oil injected).
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar