lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Gso125
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Charging a 2006 CC P 46v

I just picked up a 2006 Club Car Precedent and the yellow battery light came on and off. I pluged in the charger and it went past 15a and it appears to be working. The charger is a powerdrive 3 it's very hot. Is this normal to get hot. The switch is in tow key off in neutral. Thanks Gerry
Gso125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Charging a 2006 CC P 46v

can you keep your hand on it? is the amp meter working down? if so i would just keep an eye on it............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Gso125
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I keep it plugged in 1/2 hour way to hot to keep hand on. Didn't notice any drop. When I first plug it in it goes way past 15a then comes back just past 15a. No smoke no smell from charger. Plug at cart is cool. Batteries don't get hot. I called the guy I bought it from and have been waiting for a call back he had to call his worker that maintains them to see if this was normal. Willtry again for the am to leave it in going to work now. Going to be a long weekend at work with storm.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Gso125
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

In the am I going to test tHe batteries. Should I remove all cables and test each battery? Can I test the charger any ideas thanks Gerry
Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you can leave cables connected, heat is never a good thing with these carts but if you can,t keep your hand on it that would concern me if its working theres really nothing to test for but have you left it on long enough for it to charge and shut off?.....................................
Old 08-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Gso125
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I had to go to work so I unplugged it. I tried a few times and the charger got hot, longest was 1/2 hour or may 45 mins. Will plug it in when I get home to night at 2 and hope it works when I get up at 8am

How long is an average time on something like this when the charge light comes on. Thanks Gerry
Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

gso,
I have the same charger and it gets very hot as well. Although it's hot, it works perfect. As the batts charge, the meter will indicate less amps until it finally turns itself off. Chargers get hot, so keep flamables away from it and let it do its thing. I'm sure if you don't smell anything burning and it is charging your batts and shutting off properly, you are good to go.

I live in FL and my garage is easily 100+ degrees. I considered directing a fan on it, but summer is almost over and the garage should be down to about 90 degrees soon.

Hope this makes you feel better. If you are still nervous, get a pro to check it out. Better safe than sorry. Just keep it away from flamables.
Steve
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

almost every charger acts a bit different ...mine if they were to get so hot i couldn,t keep my hand on it that would concern me as both my 48 volt chargers don,t even get warm after 12 hours..................................
Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #9
Gso125
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys for the info so far. I just got home and pluged it in again it went past 15a and after 10mins the charger was hot but not as hot as before? I could put my hands on it so I'm leaving pluged in outside overnight and see what it says in the morning. It's plugged in a ground fault do hopefully if it has any major issue it pops the breaker.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

You haven't mentioned whether the amp reading is dropping off during the charge cycle or if it remains at 15+ amps the entire time . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car