lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2006, 04:54 AM   #1
Clayboy
Gone Wild

Default Clutch tuning

In the search for more POWER, I am looking at calibrating my clutch. I got a few good ideas for the driven part of the clutch system, but I want to look at the drive clutch too.

Going by these 2 charts it looks like my clutch should be engaged at about 2600 to 2800 rpm to get peak performance. I know that will keep my motor reved up high, but that's where the fun is anyway! Am I looking at this right?
Clayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

This is a good topic. I know very little about optimizing clutch performance.
I hope to learn from this. I will be watching.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Clayboy
Gone Wild

Ron, next time you have your cart out, put it in neutral and watch the drive clutch. See what rpm it starts to engage and what rpm it has fully extended. I'm going to get some different springs and pucks to try to get the clutch to back off some so it completes its cycle at around 3500 rpm. This might be too strong of a take-off but it might just work. What's the worst that could happen, break something? Burn-out? Wheelie? Might launch like a banshee!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayboy
Ron, next time you have your cart out, put it in neutral and watch the drive clutch. See what rpm it starts to engage and what rpm it has fully extended. I'm going to get some different springs and pucks to try to get the clutch to back off some so it completes its cycle at around 3500 rpm. This might be too strong of a take-off but it might just work. What's the worst that could happen, break something? Burn-out? Wheelie? Might launch like a banshee!
Clay, I will check that out and post what it's doing. It sounds like your on to
something here.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
WALKNTALL
Getting Wild

I dont think you will like that high of an engagement unless your pulling a trailer or something all of the time. imho

Frank
WALKNTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Clayboy
Gone Wild

Just kickin around some ideas. Springs and pucks for the Comet don't cost that much, so what the heck. Mabe just back it up a little to let the engine get closer to power curve.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
WALKNTALL
Getting Wild

Probably just installing a black spring with stock pucks will do it. You may have to add some puck weight.

Frank
WALKNTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
Clayboy
Gone Wild

Sounds good, I will give it a try.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:56 PM   #9
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Be weary of jerky engagement! You want a smooth action, not a hard jerk at 2600 RPMs. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
made4mudd357
Gone Wild

where do you get the pucks and springs from i need them bad i can do about 10mph the way my clutch is set
made4mudd357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!