lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 8v load tester

I am looking to get a battery load tester. I see battery load testers all over that work for 6v/12v batteries like this one (http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16161). But am not finding anything for 8v volt batteries. Will these work for 8v? Or can someone point me to one for 8v batts?
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 8v load tester

I have not seen them for 8v batteries ......
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have been using the milton 6/12 volt tester for 8 volt batteries and it works the same.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
I have been using the milton 6/12 volt tester for 8 volt batteries and it works the same.
What setting do you use, 6 or 12?
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

It starts at 0 and goes to sixteen and i just start at 8 volts and when you put the load on it you will see how much it drops.Usually if it goes to 71/2 volts it probably needs a recharge,but if it is less it is probably bad.Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I may catch some heat from this one. You know that tester is for a car "CCA" battery right? It may show you a "dead shorted" deep cycle battery, but in my opinion (I know it's only my opinion) you can only really test deep cycle batteries with a hydometer ,volt meter and a "download" machine. A hydrometer will show "specific gravity" readings and may show a bad cell (causing that battery to effect the battery set. A volt meter will show "surface voltage" and can be used to test batteries in a "load" situation (IE: jack up the car, runit and apply the brake to prduce a "load"). Only a download machine will simulate actual "load/run time on the deep cycle set", all DC batteries have "run" ratings. Lets say your batteries are a 6 volt set, lets say there rated at 105 minutes at a 75 amp draw and now the machine stop's when 32 volts are reached on the download and it is only 20 minutes, you have a problem. Instantly turn on the machine and check each battery, you may have one that is stopping extra runnng time. It could be one, it could be 2 or more. Also look at the date code on the leaad terminal. It will tell you the month and year produced. All these tests factor in to battery testing, for running/and warranty.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well its a starting point as i use a hydrometer to, it still puts a load on a battery. it works fine for me as i was just trying to help out.Everybody has something that works better for them.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I like to use the load tester to knock the surface charge off and then use the VOM to check charge state. Deep cycle boat bats.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
sunking
Gone Wild

It is all a matter of Ohm’s Law. You can use a 12 volt load tester on 8 volt battery with no ill effects. It just will not pull as much load as it was designed for, thus not produce as much heat. For example if the load is designed to pull 1000 watts at 12 volts, it will only pull 444 watts at 8 volts. No problem.

Using a 6 volt load tester on an 8 volt battery is asking for trouble, but you may be able to get away with it for a very short time. Example a load designed to pull 1000 watts at 6 volts, will pull 1777 watts at 8 volts. You are asking for a fire.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
Well its a starting point as i use a hydrometer to, it still puts a load on a battery. it works fine for me as i was just trying to help out.Everybody has something that works better for them.
GCF, In no way was I doughting or questioning your methods. I know you are a great help to many. This why I don't post sometimes, I guess go overboard in explaining. Like you, I tried to awnser the members question with what I have done. I hope this thread will help many.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center