lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default How hot is too hot?

My son has been concerned that his motor is getting too hot. He put a temp sensor (thermo coupler) on it and it is reading 200 degrees F after a fairly long ride. Is that too hot?

High speed motor
48 volt system
SPM 48500
Standard tires
HD everything
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How hot is too hot?

200°F sounds a bit warm, but I try to keep my motor below a max of 225°F.

The wires in the windings of your motor (most likely) has Class-H insulation, which is rated for 180°C (356°F), but you are measuring at the outer surface of the motor case, so the rating has to be de-rated to about 115°C (236°F).

What happens if the rated temperature is exceeded? For every 10°C above it the motor operates continuously at, the life expectancy of the insulation is halved. Basically the motor won't last quite as long as it would otherwise, but motors in carts from the 60's and '70's that are still running today, so the life expectancy of cart motors is decades.

If it is the D&D motor listed in you sig block, contact D&D and get their max temperature recommendations. You also might want to ask them for the motor's efficiency at various RPM.

--------
The amps flowing through the motor Motor are either converted to torque or heat (Torque vs heat = efficiency) and series cart motors vary from about 55% to 85% efficiency over their RPM spectrum, so the motor will run cooler at some speeds than at other speeds. Very low speeds and very high speeds are typically the least efficient.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowilliams View Post
My son has been concerned that his motor is getting too hot. He put a temp sensor (thermo coupler) on it and it is reading 200 degrees F after a fairly long ride. Is that too hot?

High speed motor
48 volt system
SPM 48500
Standard tires
HD everything
200F is not hot for a motor, but... That is case temperature. Internal temperature will be a lot higher. It takes time for internal heat to make it to the outside of a motor.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for this info. I was just going ask the same thing as breaking in my new motor seems very hot and takes a long time to cool.
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

A poor man's way of testing temperature is lick your finger and touch. If it sizzles, it's over 212° F or 100° C.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDad View Post
Thanks for this info. I was just going ask the same thing as breaking in my new motor seems very hot and takes a long time to cool.
The thermal mass of a cart motor is pretty large, so the case temperature lags the windings temperature by several minutes and they take forever to cool.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but Sepex motors seem to run hotter than series motors, especially at low speeds and at top speeds.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Cart motor temps will rise 25-50º once you stop working them. 200º case temperature is safe.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO