lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Default EnerSys Genesis XE70X?

I got my hands on a few of these 12 volt batteries. I know they are only 68AH, but can I run my golf cart on these and how long (approx.) would they last? Can I charge them with a regular battery charger? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EnerSys Genesis XE70X?

Golf Cart batteries are built differently than other batteries. They can handle deep discharges better, but the voltage will sag while under high loads. I do not know how the Genesis batteries are made. I'm going to assume they are built like golf cart batteries, which is probably not true. So the below is likely a best-case scenario.

I just looked at the Trojan website and the golf cart batteries they have range from 210ah to 260ah at the 20 hour rate. 225 is the standard T-105.

The short answer is 68ah is less than a 3rd of the capacity of T-105s. But the other part of the equation is longevity and lead acid batteries like to be charged. So if you only have (guessing) a 5 mile range, after 5 miles your cart will be dead and the batteries in bad need of a charge. On Trojans you may have an 18 mile range so a 5 mile jaunt isn't going to task the Trojan batteries. You'll still want to plug them back in when you get home but they won't age as quickly.

Trojans with excellent care and excellent maintenance can last 5 years, maybe a little more, depending.

So, yes, energy is energy but these have much less capacity so your range is short and these will age and die sooner than a set of purpose built Golf Cart batteries.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

And you asked about charging. Yes, you can charge these 12v batteries with a 12v charger. You'll want them all to be charged before heading out. Don't charge 2 of them and skip the third.

The longer a battery sits in a discharged state the more damage occurs so it will age sooner. These tiny batteries will be discharged much more quickly than regular batteries and it will take a lot longer to charge them one at a time (assuming you are using a single 12v charger) so that will cause additional aging.

Even the cheap Sams Club golf cart batteries at $89 each will be much, much better than the 68ah batteries you have and you will get much more longevity from them and be happier and in the long run save money.

For lead acid batteries with a newer charger remember if the cart is parked the charger is plugged in.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Thanks for the reply. I got the batteries for free, so I was hoping to give them a try. I was going to buy a 4 bank 12 volt charger so I can charge all the batteries individually, but at the same time. It would also be a tender, so it will keep the batteries at a full charge. I understand my run time will not be as much as an official golf cart battery, but since they were free, I’d like to try them.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Battery tender makes a 4 bank charger, but each bank only puts out 1.25 amps which will take forever to charge these batteries. The Noco genius is a 4 bank charger and puts out 10 amps per bank. I think that would be the charger to use.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW: The 68AH rating for the batteries is at the 10hr rate rather than the usual 20hr rate, so the AH rating at the 20hr rate will be higher.

My guesstimate is something in the 75AH range.

That means you get roughly 46% the run-time you'd get with a typical 48V battery pack (6x8V -170hr)

Since they are used batteries, the actual run-time will most likely be less than that.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ah, now it makes sense. You picked up a set for free. Then yes, give it a whirl. All you'll be out is the cost of the charger. I also assumed you were talking about a 36v pack, my mistake.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
FWIW: The 68AH rating for the batteries is at the 10hr rate rather than the usual 20hr rate, so the AH rating at the 20hr rate will be higher.

My guesstimate is something in the 75AH range.

That means you get roughly 46% the run-time you'd get with a typical 48V battery pack (6x8V -170hr)

Since they are used batteries, the actual run-time will most likely be less than that.
I know these batteries aren't perfect for a golf cart application, but since I got the batteries for free, what can it hurt (other than run time) to use these batteries. Let's say I get 70-75 hours run time. That should work okay for me for a few years until I decide to get the proper batteries. Do you think I can use a 48 volt golf cart charger to charge these batteries as a pack?
Old 11-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Ah, now it makes sense. You picked up a set for free. Then yes, give it a whirl. All you'll be out is the cost of the charger. I also assumed you were talking about a 36v pack, my mistake.
Exactly my thoughts. If I could use a 48 volt golf cart battery charger to charge all 4 batteries as a pack, that would be great, because I can still use that charger down the road when I get the right batteries.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

https://www.enersys.com/Genesis_XE_B...?langType=1033

This is the company and battery
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO