lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
3wheelingfool
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Question 3 Wheel EZGO 36v Electric Cart

I have an old school 3 Wheel cart and need help. I do not know what year it is. The numbers I found on the plate are 780512 I55397 I am sure it is not a 97 and most likely is a 78. Here is my problem. I bought a new solenoid, but it was different. The guy said it would work with my 36v cart. It is so different that I do not know how to hook it up.

It look a like WR#120 series 36 volt 4 terminals silver contacts tower type w/angle bracket.

When I first hooked it up the cart would go forward and reverse if the F&R switch was put in F or R. I am talking no gas pedal being pushed. So I guessed I must have it hooked up wrong. On the bright side the cart seemed to have great torque when I did press the gas pedal. Not sure why I keep saying gas pedal since this is an electric cart.

When I tried to change the wiring, I am not sure what happened. The termial loop fried off of the resister. So if anyone has a diagram on how to wire this type of solenoid and hopfully stop the cart from driving without the gas pedal being pushed, I will add you to my Christmas card list

My email is gregorysclark@yahoo.com. Please send me anything you have that would be helpful. Thanks!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1135_small.jpg (2.8 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by 3wheelingfool; 12-05-2008 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: mispelling
3wheelingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
3wheelingfool
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default re: 3 Wheel EZGO 36v Electric Cart

All of this is an improvement because it was not running at all before the solenoid replacment.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

It's a 1978 most likely an X440. Look at the Sticky's at the top of the EZGO electric section for a wiring diagram on the resistor coil setups that closely resembles yours and start tracing and identifying.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Most likely the cart seems to be running without the gas because the gas is never completely off. Check to see if in fact the gas peddle allows the speed selector wiper arm to come all the way back down to the last speed selection button. This is the off position. I like candy canes
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
3wheelingfool
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks!!! I will look into it this weekend. Here is a picture of my cart. I only paid $300 for it and it has a charger as well. This is my first cart. I was tired of being an outcast at the campground so we bought this cart.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart.JPG (111.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 12-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Take a picture under the seat as well. It will help.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's a perfect campground cruiser

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
71chopper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 3 Wheel EZGO 36v Electric Cart

on ur solenoid , they are not all the same ,automotive solenoids activate from one small terminal to ground, the other small terminal is hot like the large terminals while the solenoid is energized, it was used for resistor bypass on old ignition systems, I have the same cart and the cart solenoid activates between the 2 small terminals, u might b backfeeding some voltage somehow ,the reverse buzzer only sounds until u press the peddle on my cart also ,make sure no one has run a extra ground wire to the frame, I can try to get a few pics but it will b a day or 2
71chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Otter70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

IMHO, if I had your cart I would rip all the wires out and rewire everything new. You'll learn alot and you'll know what you have. I did this to mine and I know that it's Right! Get the schematic for the year and type of your cart and jump in........It's fun
Otter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
3wheelingfool
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

71Chopper,

Any pictures woud be most helpful and possibly a schematic of this cart instead of ones that are close. If the pictures you post of your 3 wheel cart help me get this thing running I will send you a gift that only 3 wheeling fools like us would enjoy.

I started this project because one of the battery terminals was getting so hot it meleted the botton of the seat trim. I noticed the batteries were not wired according to all of the diagram I saw. But that is were the problems all began, none of the diagrams I found match my cart exactly.

I have replaced the solenoid, the resiter, the diode and the microswitch on the speed control assembly. I have an ignition switch omn order as well.

The solenoid I bought was a 36V one for a different brand of cart. The service guy said it would work.

I really am not ure of the year of this cart. The guy that sold it to me said 87 or 88, but someone on this forum said 78. What year is you 3 wheeler? Am I to asume it is a 71 hence the name 71chopper?

I look forward to your pictures, including the battery cable layout. If you want you can call me at 765-717-0940 with tips or advice on 3 wheel carts. I live in Indiana.

(Merry Christmas to all)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO