lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2021, 04:03 PM   #11
Tfastle@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New Piston/Rings seem tight, what does PVC hose connect to?

That's an interesting question Trig. It does have an oil pressure sensor but no light anywhere (I assume it would be on the dash, probably near the key or such). I assumed some models came with it and some not but all of the engines had the sensor and you can ad one. I had meant to ask about that. Is that correct? Is there a generic one I can stick in there are does it have to be a specific one?

I thought I was going to have to leave town this weekend but it looks like I won't so I hope to get the engine installed and maybe try and fire it up.
Tfastle@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #12
Tfastle@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

After I sent my last reply I gave it a little thought. I would have to guess that oil pressure must open a switch in the sensor so really any 12 volt light would likely work, is that correct? If so, then I should be able to use a meter to confirm I have oil pressure - when running and with the positive lead on sensor connector, negative lead to ground, 12 volts means no/low pressure, 0 volts means good oil pressure. Am I correct on this?
Old 01-23-2021, 04:33 PM   #13
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfastle@aol.com View Post
After I sent my last reply I gave it a little thought. I would have to guess that oil pressure must open a switch in the sensor so really any 12 volt light would likely work, is that correct? If so, then I should be able to use a meter to confirm I have oil pressure - when running and with the positive lead on sensor connector, negative lead to ground, 12 volts means no/low pressure, 0 volts means good oil pressure. Am I correct on this?
Yes, a meter would work. What I do is get the correct one, remove key plate, drill a hole and put the new one in. It is always good to know especially on a rebuilt motor
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #14
Tfastle@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I agree it's a very good thing to know. By get "a correct one" what do you mean? Get a light (preferably a red round one that fits well and is decent looking) and install it or is there a specific one you are suggesting?
Old 01-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #15
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I normally get the OEM one to make it look good. I have them in all three of my gas carts.
23474G1 is the part number but you might now want to pay $10.86 for it.

I really don't like the manual gauge but I have put them in for people. Too many ways on a golf cart to cut that plastic line.

I have a gauge with long hose at my shop I use for testing the pressure. It will screw right in where the sending unit is.
You just need to know how much pressure this engine has when you first fire it up.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:08 PM   #16
Tfastle@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

You know, that's actually a great point. That is the one thing I didn't take out (the oil pressure sensor/switch). I went to but it felt like I was going to break it off and I didn't want to do that. You have me thinking now though. A smart guy would make another effort at getting it out and then pick up a gauge like you described and actually KNOW what you have. I think I may do that, Harbor Freight has one for about $30 that has a bunch of adaptors. Is there a trick to getting that oil pressure sensor out? It didn't feel like it would take a lot of torque. Sorry to pick your brain so much.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #17
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
You know, that's actually a great point. That is the one thing I didn't take out (the oil pressure sensor/switch). I went to but it felt like I was going to break it off and I didn't want to do that. You have me thinking now though. A smart guy would make another effort at getting it out and then pick up a gauge like you described and actually KNOW what you have. I think I may do that, Harbor Freight has one for about $30 that has a bunch of adaptors. Is there a trick to getting that oil pressure sensor out? It didn't feel like it would take a lot of torque. Sorry to pick your brain so much.
No problem on picking my brain. There ain't much left
I have a special socket that I bought many years ago for trucks and cars to remove sending units. It works on these also.

If you can wait until tomorrow I can see what size socket would work. I have a few new ezgo sending units at my shop and probably a hundred old sockets .

I usually remove the sending unit and fill with oil after I get everything together but that's just me

Don't want you to cause problems trying to remove it. Have you already installed the engine. I never had an issue getting one out.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #18
Tfastle@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

Yep, I used to think I was loaded with brains ... as I get older I realize that ain't the case!

I'm going to run to the auto parts store and get one of those sockets. If I get it out I think I will get a gauge kit from Harbor Freight as well. I can see now knowing if you have pressure is very wise and it would good to know how much and how it fluctuates.

I just read a post from a couple of years back about a guy that had a WorkHorse 2007 which I think is actually an MPT, same year as mine. He kept losing the prime on his oil pump and you chimed in on it a fair amount. One thing was mentioned that caught my eye. Someone suggested spinning the engine with an impact wrench to see if it is pumping oil. I'm thinking I might try that. What are you thoughts on it?
Old 01-23-2021, 07:13 PM   #19
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yep, I used to think I was loaded with brains ... as I get older I realize that ain't the case!

I'm going to run to the auto parts store and get one of those sockets. If I get it out I think I will get a gauge kit from Harbor Freight as well. I can see now knowing if you have pressure is very wise and it would good to know how much and how it fluctuates.

I just read a post from a couple of years back about a guy that had a WorkHorse 2007 which I think is actually an MPT, same year as mine. He kept losing the prime on his oil pump and you chimed in on it a fair amount. One thing was mentioned that caught my eye. Someone suggested spinning the engine with an impact wrench to see if it is pumping oil. I'm thinking I might try that. What are you thoughts on it?
Not a bad idea to spin it over. Impact wrench should work.
I got an extra starter/generator with mounts that I just bolt up . I got holes drilled in one of my tables. I connect a battery to the starter, ground the other cable, put belt on and spin them over to check oil pressure and compression before I put one back in.

That is what I call my shop red-neck dynamometer

I am too old to be bending over and pulling one back out .
Old 01-23-2021, 08:04 PM   #20
Tfastle@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

I like it!!! I gotta get more Red Neck!!

I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO