lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Default 48v to 12v Reducer with Halogen

I've read other threads here but my set up is a little different.

I just purchased a 2018 Club Car Precedent with 6 8v batteries and purchased a "Halogen" light bar that I liked as an LED wasn't available at that time.

The seller of the Halogen said a 10A reducer should be fine as I'm not going to run any other accessories. But looking at a 20A or 30A just in case.

I also have a 2 USB phone chargers in the dash but don't see a reducer.

My concern is the placement of the reducer as there's limited space in the battery area. Can this reducer or any reducer be mounted to plastic with double sided tape and maybe a tap screw to hold it on and will heat be a factor?

Plus since the light kit has an on/off switch, how important is the 5th lock wire on the reducer?

Here's the reducer I'm considering.
https://www.10l0l.com/10l0l-30a-golf...-p1329195.html

Thanks
Camaro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2021, 04:56 PM   #2
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48v to 12v Reducer with Halogen

If you are referring to the Green wire as the 5th wire - this is intended to be connected to the key switch to turn converter on and off when you switch the ignition.

If it's not connected you'll get no output from the converter Red wire. You'll still have voltage on the Blue wire, but this is intended for accessories with memory, given its intended function I don't know what it is rated at (i.e: you may not get 30 Amps out of this wire).

If you do not want it to be controlled by the key switch you could just connect the Green wire to the Yellow wire (positive form battery), this will give you a constant 12 volts from the Red Wire.

Listing says to mount on metal surface due to heat. I would not recommend double sided tape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Converter.JPG (20.6 KB, 0 views)
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would run the green wire to the back of the key switch for sure. As for the blue wire that wire would be used at the "memory" wire on the back of a radio so your settings wouldnt be lost every time you turn the key off.

I have a 25 amp reducer although my plans are to permanently mount it inside the dash when i install the dash board i currently have it double sided taped to the metal panel just left of the Tow/Run switch.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #4
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
I would run the green wire to the back of the key switch for sure. As for the blue wire that wire would be used at the "memory" wire on the back of a radio so your settings wouldnt be lost every time you turn the key off.

I have a 25 amp reducer although my plans are to permanently mount it inside the dash when i install the dash board i currently have it double sided taped to the metal panel just left of the Tow/Run switch.

Wayne
Isn't the metal plate next to the tow switch the controller? (see below)

Not sure how the heat from the reducer would affect it.

Unfort, the Club Cart doesn't give me much options to mount in the battery area and I really don't want to mount it under the cart.

Is there enough room behind the dash to place it there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cont.jpg (79.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

I mounted one on the dashboard panel behind the steering wheel column, under the front cowl. I then mounted the fuse/distribution block on the outside of the same area, but accessible to the right side storage area. Neat and clean.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:37 AM   #6
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro69 View Post
Isn't the metal plate next to the tow switch the controller? (see below)

Not sure how the heat from the reducer would affect it.

Unfort, the Club Cart doesn't give me much options to mount in the battery area and I really don't want to mount it under the cart.

Is there enough room behind the dash to place it there?
It's not the controller, its a plate that the controller is mounted to - so you are wise not to be drilling in that area. It's #10 in the attached illustration. In your photo you can see the 3 screws (#5) that mount the controller to this panel.

I would not be too concerned about mounting it under the cart, it should be able to withstand moisture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tub.JPG (63.5 KB, 0 views)
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The factory location for a Precedent is outside on the front of the cart.

If You get a converter model that has a Precedent specific harness tap, the converter will connect directly behind the dash without having to splice any wires (power in/out or trigger wire).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:28 PM   #8
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns18 View Post
It's not the controller, its a plate that the controller is mounted to - so you are wise not to be drilling in that area. It's #10 in the attached illustration. In your photo you can see the 3 screws (#5) that mount the controller to this panel.

I would not be too concerned about mounting it under the cart, it should be able to withstand moisture.
Unfort, I don't really have access to get underneath.

I would need to find a floor jack to raise is it.

That's why I was I hoping to mount it someplace under the seat. But the Precedent 48v doesn't have much room, or a metal plate to screw it into under the seat.

Plus, would a higher amp unit 30a get hotter than a 15a or 20a when being used or not in use?

The seller of my light bar said min 10a, but I wanted to go higher just in case.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:33 PM   #9
Timinator
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Get the 30 amp one. It's a few dollars at most more. Some day you may want a stereo, or something else that runs off 12V.
Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:18 PM   #10
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro69 View Post
Unfort, I don't really have access to get underneath.

I would need to find a floor jack to raise is it.

That's why I was I hoping to mount it someplace under the seat. But the Precedent 48v doesn't have much room, or a metal plate to screw it into under the seat.

Plus, would a higher amp unit 30a get hotter than a 15a or 20a when being used or not in use?

The seller of my light bar said min 10a, but I wanted to go higher just in case.
The 30A reducer will not get any hotter than the 10A one unless you add a lot more accessories that then pull more than 10A. Even then it is unlikely, however it should be mounted where it can get rid of the heat. The preferred mounting point is on a metal surface that can act as a heat sink. That is why the normal placement on a Precedent is on the metal plate behind the front suspension as shown in this diagram. Otherwise just put it on a metal plate wherever there is room but use bolts, not double-sided tape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Precedent_voltage_reducer_location.jpg (90.4 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car