lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2020, 05:19 AM   #1
DAVnVA
Not Yet Wild

Default CC DS Clone Wiring

Hello all! I am enjoying browsing the. site and learning a lot. Installing a Lifan 15 HP clone into my newly acquired 88 Club Car DS. This cart was in rough shape so I am totallly retiring it. Have a few questions - what do you do with original kill engine wire? Is it just a ground or does it have power on it? Can the oil sensor light be wired as original? Or does it have power on it?
Also I have grounded the S/G to the chassis but where else do I put grounding wires? I know at starter switch does clone engine get grounded to chassis? Recommended locations and wire sizes to ground to chassis?
Appreciate any help you can provide, Hopefully my solenoid and voltage regulator are good.
DAVnVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: CC DS Clone Wiring

I don't know about Club Car, but on Yamaha's I ground the battery to the bottom side of one of the engine mount bolts, works well. I use a #4 stranded copper, or #2 stranded aluminum.

The kill circuit on a clone needs to go to ground, DO NOT PUT POWER TO THAT. Usually that gets wired into a new starter switch if you use the clone engine starter, like an automobile. I'm sure you can wire it into the kill circuit on the cart, it will be a grounded circuit when closed. If you put power to the kill circuit on the engine you can fry the ignition, so just be sure what you're using. Get the multimeter out.

The oil sensor on the Lifan clone is a kill switch. It grounds out the ignition if the oil gets too low. Most of us don't use that because if you drive uphill, it could shut the engine down. That's bad news stalling an engine going up a hill.

I can't help you with the S/G wiring, sorry. I'm not a Club Car guy.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You would have to find out if the Cc engine had a magneto type ignition, they ground to kill, they only have a coil that runs off the flywheel. Powered ignitions have a cdi box or powered coil not on the flywheel. For example yamaha has a 12v wire that goes to the key, then the pedal switch , then it powers the coil and ignitor box and starter/gen. The ignitor is like a cdi sort of. This is the older G2/9 the later yamaha can be different. The G9 only has a hall effect pickup on the flywheel, the coil is on top of the engine. A coil on the flywheel will be under the air cooled shrouding next to the flywheel which has a magnet in it to run the coil.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:04 AM   #4
DAVnVA
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all for the replies! I put a meter on the kill wire and it seems to have 5-6 volts on it when the pedal is pushed?? I think I will play it safe and put a 5 pin relay on it and put the coil wiring to the starter side of the solenoid.
DAVnVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

That seems odd, it should connect to nothing while running and ground at rest...if its a magneto coil on flywheel setup as many lawn engines are.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps