lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #1
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default 670 Predator help

I have a 670 Predator in my 2001 EZ GO. I would like to get a little more out of it, Can you tweak the governor any? Seems like you should be able to get a little more out of this engine!
On another note I need a lift kit. What I have read is the drop down axle is the way to go. I dont want to spend a bunch of money and a 4 inch kit would be plenty. Any suggestions out there?
chazdo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 670 Predator help

How did you install the 670 without the lift? I have done it, but the engine and cradle sit very low and the top projects into the seat area. I'd like to see a photo of the install.

As for how to get more out of it, it will depend entirely on what you are getting out of it now. I'll assume the governor was left intact on the install. If your belt is not adjusted well, you may not be achieving a full shift. Either way, on stock tires, the most you will get out of it is about the same speed as a stock motor without other mods. RPM determines speed in these monsters...unless you put in high speed gears. The higher torque available from the 670 allows you to turn higher gears, and that will get you more speed. You can buy 8:1 and 6:1 gears. Understand, when you put higher gearing in, the change is throughout the entire window of operation, so crawling around slowly, or backing it into the shed can get tricky...as it will lurch as the clutch engages the belt. The carbs on these motors suck, and are difficult, if not impossible to get to react nicely throughout the RPM range, and in particularly at low RPM, and even worse if you are running through the governor linkage on the motor.

I have the same machine, 670 predator, no governor, installed a tachometer, ran it initially on stock tires but had a makeshift seat. I put 8:1 gears in, saw 23 mph on stock tires with the 8:1 gears. I put a 6" drop axle from Steeleng, $170, and added 23" tires. It gets to 31 now at 4,000 rpm. You need a tachometer if you disengage the governor...that motor wants to rev up. I am going to re-engage my governor so other folks can drive it from time to time. I also need to work on the alignment...this thing is scary above 25 mph. I have a Jake's LT kit ordered, so I don't want to spend any more money on the front suspension, but if you plan to squeeze a bunch of speed out of it, you will need to plan on spending a bunch of time tweeking the suspension to get it to drive straight.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #3
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wow ton of info there! The motor is sitting pretty high in the cradle I couldnt fit it in lower unless I got a 50 inch belt. The seat height is a little high but its still comfortable. Its a bit rough right now I got the cart as scrap with next to nothing in it. I had the wheels and tires but as you can see they are too big with out a lift! Im not looking for a lot of speed just a little run around the house and some land work with it. Kids are all gone so speed isnt that important. Its running so rich the plugs are black and sooty. I dont see any adjustments maybe different jets? Carb education would be appreciated here too! I read somewhere that those caps can be removed and there are some adjustments there. with removing the governor what RPM are you staying under?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail (13).jpg (23.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (15).jpg (33.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdo2 View Post
Wow ton of info there! The motor is sitting pretty high in the cradle I couldnt fit it in lower unless I got a 50 inch belt. The seat height is a little high but its still comfortable. Its a bit rough right now I got the cart as scrap with next to nothing in it. I had the wheels and tires but as you can see they are too big with out a lift! Im not looking for a lot of speed just a little run around the house and some land work with it. Kids are all gone so speed isnt that important. Its running so rich the plugs are black and sooty. I dont see any adjustments maybe different jets? Carb education would be appreciated here too! I read somewhere that those caps can be removed and there are some adjustments there. with removing the governor what RPM are you staying under?
I keep it under 4,000 always, generally under 3,600 as that is the stock continuous speed from mfg. Not looking to replace it, and until I get it driving a bit smoother at high speed, I don't need more than that. I was curious how you fit the seat ...I had a single seat for a little while off to the side of the top of the motor.

As for the carb, there are a couple screws under caps...they don't look like caps, but they are. A screw driver and hammer...puncture the caps, twist em out. There are youtube videos on it, and I think other posts that describe the location...I can't recall off the top of my head. Those other posts detail direction and how much to turn them...worked perfect for me. Unfortunately, I am not near mine and can't put my eyes on it.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #5
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks a ton as always!!!!!
Old 01-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #6
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I had to finally break down and put a lift kit in it so I could sit on it comfortably! Runs good only gets about 2400 rpms out of it. runs drives good but there is so much more power to get even with another 100 rpms it feels like. I have a tac might remove the governor. It moves around fast enough for what little use I give it but I would like to see what it can do. seems to shift well. Ill post some pics
Old 01-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #7
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdo2 View Post
I had to finally break down and put a lift kit in it so I could sit on it comfortably! Runs good only gets about 2400 rpms out of it. runs drives good but there is so much more power to get even with another 100 rpms it feels like. I have a tac might remove the governor. It moves around fast enough for what little use I give it but I would like to see what it can do. seems to shift well. Ill post some pics
IF you are only getting 2400 rpms, there is a bigger issue than the governor. With the governor installed, you should get to 3600 rpm. Post a photo of the throttle linkages and how you have it set up. You can pull instructions off the Vegas Carts website on how to set up the throttle with governor installed. I recommend having the governor in place if kids will ever be driving it.

I would verify your tach wiring and set up to make sure you don't have it set up for a four cylinder machine...you would be showing half the rpms you are actually turning. Not hearing the engine run, that would be my guess, and that you are actually running 4800 rpm and your belt is too loose. It needs to be just loose enough that it can idle without pushing the cart in gear. Mine it a bit tight, without brake, the cart will move and it is difficult to shift from F to R and vice versa. The looser it is, the more RPMs you loose before the clutch engages the belt, and that means loss of top end speed. Put the cart up on jack stands, strap it to down and run the engine up. It could be in N as the clutches will operate fully without load. There is a neutral lock on the back side of the FNR handle...just a spring loaded metal switch that turns 90 degrees and locks the shifter in neutral. Check to see if the belt is getting all the way to the top of the drive clutch.

Just some thoughts.

As for the carb, there are Youtube videos on how to pop the two caps out and how much and what direction to turn the screws.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

What speed are you seeing at 2400 rpm? I'm guessing the same thing, the tach is likely not reading correctly. These clutches usually engage around 1600-1800 rpm, so 2400 would just be above engagement, likely 5 mph or so.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps