lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Cushman utv max resto/build

I don't see very many cushman owners on here. I bought this cushman utv max for $500. I can't get over how heavily and well built this thing is. It is rated for 1,200 pound payload! I don't have any issues believing it either judging by the size of the rear springs and how thick the dump bed sheet metal is. Going to be restoring and modifying it. They came originally with a 14hp vanguard. The previous owner of it ended up putting a 18hp boxer kohler in it. I intend on going with another vanguard in the future, but for right now I am going to keep it in it's current configuration. I am going to start with some cleaning and remedying the issues that it has. Currently I have it tore down in the garage. I had to tear the engine out to get to the starter, it was spinning but not engaging the bendix in to the flywheel. I found some debris in close vicinity to it that was causing the hang up. I am also going to rewire it as its factory wiring was hacked up pretty bad. It has a comet 94c primary that I am currently waiting on pucks for. Also ordered new nylon ramp buttons for what I believe to be a comet 90d secondary. Here is some pics of the progress so far.... More to come.
Alex Faught is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Cushman utv max resto/build

pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cushman 4.jpg (80.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 5.jpg (76.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 2.jpg (80.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 3.jpg (77.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 6.jpg (76.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

More pics, notice the wiring mess lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cushman 7.jpg (82.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 8.jpg (75.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cushman wiring mess 2.jpg (97.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cushman wiring mess.jpg (77.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Great project! Most cushman things are simple and HD built. It probably goes a lot better with a twin in it. I ran a truckster once with a onan 20 in it instead of the OMC twin, it would torch the tires, I should have bought it for 600 back then but had no use for it at the time.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Thanks! It is definitely simple! I managed to do some cleaning on it tonight. Lots of scrubbing, scraping and washing. Still no where near clean yet. It for the most part is rust free, but there are some cancerous areas that need to be addressed. I am in hopes of finding a cheap rolling quad chassis so I can rob the independent front suspension and disc brakes. Nice thing is that it already has hydraulic drum rears, so hopefully I can plumb the front discs into the system so long as the master cylinder provides enough volume. If not, a larger master will be in order.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #6
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Ended up doing a little more cleaning done on it today. My pucks for the 94c finally arrived, so I assembled it as well. I managed to make a suspension bushing for it. I was able to save one of the two. The other one, I ended up snapping the bolt off in, it was seized in the metal sleeve. I ended up having to torch it out. I have done a good bit of searching for one locally, to no avail. Unfortunately, all the auto parts stores can only look up bushings in their inventory by application and not dimensions. It is half inch inner diameter with a inch and an eighth outer diameter. I ended up making one out of a couple pieces of different diameter pvc pipes shoved inside of each other. It should work at least temporarily until I can source a correct one. Although if it holds up well, I may just keep it. I also cleaned, touched up the paint on and assembled the engine. Started working on the rust spots on the body as well. Here's some pics. I will take a couple of the bushing, the engine cradle and body when I get the chance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cushman 13.jpg (75.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 12.jpg (80.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 9 .jpg (79.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg comet clutch with new pucks.jpg (65.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #7
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

This is all the pictures I could find of it. But the front is built just like a early Ezgo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0146.jpg (156.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0147.jpg (117.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg user576_pic2723_1241487060[1] - Copy.jpg (51.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0712.jpg (356.1 KB, 0 views)
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
This is all the pictures I could find of it. But the front is built just like a early Ezgo.
What is the black painted suspension out of Unforgiven?
Old 05-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

Jakes IFS for an early model ezgo. I think,... been a minute.
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you can get parts its from Jacobsen, the commercial mower and equipment place. They own Ransoms also. Textron owns all of them. They should have a distributor in most states, or here is the site http://www.jacobsendirect.com/product/cushman/
They bought up cushman in the the mid 90s. In fact anything before that is light and medium green colors of cushman, after some colors changed. Ransoms is dark green, Jacobsen is orange.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides