lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Fuel Draw

Guys, hoping that we can get some thoughts down concerning fuel draw then have a mod post it as a sticky. Here is my attempt to get things started. Moderator: if you could please let this open for a bit to get some additional posts then "sticky" it that would be great.

For a variety of reasons, fuel draw is very common issue with these older engines and can have very many sources. Start with the simplest solution first. Carbs have fuel adjustment screws on them. Turn this screw counter-clockwise to open it more and allowing more fuel. Cleaning your carb may also help fuel draw. If these steps work you are in luck. If not keep reading.

To correct a "not getting gas" problem you should understand how these fuel systems were intended to run.

HD / Columbia engines rely on good engine vacuum to get fuel from the gas tank to the carb and then from the carb into the cylinder for combustion. When the engine runs the suction it produces allows a vacuum-based fuel pump to adequately pump gas. The pumps on earlier HDs with Tillotson carbs are internal to the carb itself. Later HDs / Columbias with Walbro carbs used external fuel pumps common to most carts of the era.

If fuel draw is poor, it is possible, likely even, that something is "robbing" the engine of the critical vacuum needed to draw gas properly. There are many areas to check but an easy place to start are gas lines. Check them all for cracks, leaks, tightness of connections, etc.

If you are certain that your gas lines are ok then your fuel pump may need rebuilt / replaced. Rebuild kits are available for both the internal Tillotson pump and the external Walbro pump. Regarding the Walbro, any three line vacuum pump will work. It doesn't need to be an exact replacement. Regarding the Tillotson, foreign made replacements carbs are now available and oftentimes it's cheaper to get a whole new carb rather than just a rebuild kit.

If the above steps still don't solve your issue then you almost certainly have crankshaft seals that are bad. Crank seals reside at either end of the crankshaft and are critical to good engine vacuum. In this case, the seals will need to be replaced before the engine will run. If you suspect this is your issue than do a forum search as crank seal replacement has been discussed in many threads.

Lastly, many people prefer to migrate away from the vacuum pumps altogether and install electric pumps. This guarantees that you will get gas from the tank to the carb but good engine vacuum will still be needed to get the fuel from the carb to the cylinder. Do a forum search for information if this is something you wish to explore.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
rib33024

Default re: Fuel Draw

When you guys want a thread to be a Sticky, just let us know if you want it be open or closed.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Don't forget about the check valve in the fuel tank. Mine closed up solid and wouldn't let any fuel out of the tank. Also I believe the Tillotson types may benefit from the check valve while the Walbros (regular float bowl) doesn't really have to have the check valve.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Hey mods, can you make this a sticky but leave it open for a bit to try to get come more responses?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

No problem!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
aircooled85
Getting Wild
Harley Davidson

Another issue is using rubber fuel line to feed into the tank. the gas eats away the outside coating and can make a mess in the tank itself. Parts stores sell plastic hard line that becomes flexible when boiled in water. Just stick one end into the water until you can work it onto the check valve and tank elbow.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ne+repair+kits

Also a guy makes them on ebay. I needed the whole assembly so just bought from him.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Tank-Fue...lXSBbD&vxp=mtr
aircooled85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
Cavemandrew
Getting Wild

Yamaha

My 78 needed a new check valve to run.
Cavemandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

is it possible that the fuel tank lid gasket could cause a fuel draw problem? Especially on metal tanks, cracked or broken gasket?
Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:09 PM   #9
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I have found a problem that comes up sometimes with a new top end. I think with new rings and cylinder the max vacuum is not developing until the rings seat fully so I used an outboard fuel primer bulb. After rings seat the primer bulb is unnecessary. I have seen this on a few carts with new top ends from India or at least made in another country.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #10
bwalterscheid
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Re: Fuel Draw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bwalterscheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson