lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2016, 12:42 AM   #21
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Remote F/R Switch - HELP!

In theory they should be continuous duty solenoids so it should not matter but if you did leave it on it won't do your battery any good long term.

I sort of wonder if you would or could get any wacky things going on in the timing if one or more solenoids is off? I was thinking that was why the drawing you used said to hook the switch to B+ of the microswitch which would be the key side.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2016, 05:47 AM   #22
ratorrey
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

I ran my power from the f2 side of the starter solenoid. There is only power there with the key on and gas pedal pressed. I agree with sidetracked, you do not want to have the possibility of leaving the solenoids powered by accident. I am not sure how much of a draw on the battery it would be but I can see the possibility of a dead battery if left in reverse for a long time.
ratorrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:47 AM   #23
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratorrey View Post
I ran my power from the f2 side of the starter solenoid. There is only power there with the key on and gas pedal pressed. I agree with sidetracked, you do not want to have the possibility of leaving the solenoids powered by accident. I am not sure how much of a draw on the battery it would be but I can see the possibility of a dead battery if left in reverse for a long time.
The thing I like about the way it's currently wired, is that I can easily connect my back-up warning light and siren to the switch or solenoid. They will activate when the switch is placed in the R position and not just when I push the gas pedal. That should also eliminate any chance of accidentally leaving the switch on and, most importantly, keep my son from going forward into my motorcycles instead of backing out of the garage.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #24
sidetracked
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I think that's great since you have the backup siren and light on the dash. I don't think I could stand having the noise of the siren. It would drive me crazy. Jonr,you do some pretty work . I saw your pics and I hope it inspired me enough to try to dress up my work a little but for now I just want mine to run right. I'm fighting a clutch leak right now but I'll figure it out soon.
sidetracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #25
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

I like Jonr's ideas and setup. Also forgot to comment on the fact that it does really look nice and neat.

Not picking just trying to understand how some of you use your carts? You guys often leave for extended periods with the key on?

I guess I treat mine and instruct other users to treat em like anything with an engine whether its a car, tractor, generator, whatever. If I am just a few steps away for a few minutes I may leave the key on but if I am not going to run it again for say maybe 1/2 hour or longer even if I am close by the key goes off and depending on who else may be around maybe the key even gets removed.

If I am alone for 100's or 1000's of feet I don't bother removing the key but I do turn it off. If I'm not alone then it depends if there is anyone around around like a little kid or that for one reason or another isn't any smarter than a little kid. If you got that going on keys come out for sure. Seen a lot of tragic stuff happen just because the last operator made it easy for someone that isn't up to operating a machine.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #26
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

First of all, thanks for the compliments on my work. But, if it weren't for you guys, I wouldn't know what the heck I was doing most of the time.

I agree with the key/safety thought, which is why I changed my wiring so that nothing works without the key being turned on. But, my main reason for doing so is because I will be using this thing in public and leaving it unattended for periods of time - like driving it to a restaurant for lunch and leaving it parked on the street. Of course I would take the ignition key with me, but I would hate for someone to mess with my light switch and drain my battery while we're having lunch.

Around my house I leave the key in it and TRY to remember to turn it to OFF. But, we don't have any neighbors and my sons are old enough to drive it whenever they want.

On another note, I just hooked up my back-up warning siren and it's perfect. Not too loud, but loud enough that you can hear it - especially before you step on the gas pedal. It sounds like a small truck backing up. Beep, beep, beep...
Old 08-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #27
sidetracked
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Eldo I wasn't saying I leave my key on regularly but it has happened on occasion
It's just my wife and I here so if I do it's no big deal but I do try to remember to turn the key off.I guess I need to wire up some lights on the dash to show when the key is on and maybe a reverse light too.I gotta get busy ,you guys are way ahead of me.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:33 PM   #28
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

I like the idea of a fairly subtle buzzer. Something that you really would not hear once the engine is running? Just something that is loud enough to remind you that its in reverse before you step on the gas. That is all assuming that backing over someone isn't a likely possibility were you could then use a louder beep beep and hope they are not doing the pokieman thing that seems to turn people into zombies.

Thinking about this further if a remember to turn the key off alarm is what you wanted remember the 3 terminal micro switch discussion above? You could hook your alarm to the NO terminal. That way it would only sound when the key is on and the pedal is not pushed. If you had brake lights you could then go a step further and rig it so the alarm was only sounding when gas or brake was not pushed.

Heck we might as well go ahead and install a backup camera and 'accident avoidance' system while we are at it. I'm sort of picturing our carts starting to look like the time machine from Back To The Future. There is a cart buried in there somewhere we just a little carried away adding features.

I have 1 of 2 carts that is running well at the moment so I can dream a little. Really need to get off my butt and figure out why my other one only likes to run for a couple minutes then die. Thought it was fuel issue but now thinking its ignition related.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:14 AM   #29
sidetracked
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

These carts are a godsend for someone who really loves to tinker.Mine just wants to force me to tinker at the most inconvenient times.hopefully I'll get my clutch problem straightened out soon and maybe it will run smooth for a while.
Although I'm wanting to change my factory seats out for a bench seat .Im thinking about trying to just make one.Got any good ideas?
Old 08-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #30
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73eldo View Post
Thinking about this further if a remember to turn the key off alarm is what you wanted remember the 3 terminal micro switch discussion above? You could hook your alarm to the NO terminal. That way it would only sound when the key is on and the pedal is not pushed. If you had brake lights you could then go a step further and rig it so the alarm was only sounding when gas or brake was not pushed.
Oh, no. That just gave me an idea. Looks like another project for me - although it will be a really small, easy, and cheap project...

I don't think I could handle an alarm to let me know that I left the key on, but I saw these really cool micro LED idiot lights that were super bright - even in daylight. I could hook that up to the 3rd terminal on the microswitch and mount the LED just above the key switch to remind me that the key is on. What do you think?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson