lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Buying a 12x24 shed

Need some Ideas on what and how I should set the inside up... I will park the cart my bike and the wifes bike inside and store all my tools, but I will have room to work on things and tinker
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Buying a 12x24 shed

My #1 recommendation for you is:

Once you get the shed and BEFORE you do anything to it, INSULATE IT!!!

Go to your local Goodwill and see if there are any computer desks there. They make a good sit down work bench and are cheap so if you mess them up you won't be upset about it.

You can find shelves there once in a while and sometimes they have cheap house speakers that can be mounted in the rafters for when you're working out there. Small TVs, DVD Players, and Radios sell for next to nothing if you're needing something for entertainment.

I've also found 6' florescent overhead lights there too, but you have to be there when they are brought out or they're gone in the blink of an eye!

The Habitat for Humanity Restore - Reuse Stores can have good stuff there for decent prices. I've bought peg board for the walls of an old garage there for pennies on the dollar.

Just think outside the box(stores) and you'll have everything before you know it and still have money to play.

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Yep,Insulation and Lighting are key.Also if you insulate,then plywood the ceiling,paint it white,you will gain more Insulating and Reflectivity of heat back into the shed,outside temps will relect back into the attic,and the White will brighten your area alot.Take time to think about how you want things laid-out,such as plugs,switches,etc..Plugs are cheap,a 20amp circuit with 12-wire is a plus(standard is 15amp with 14-wire)Grinders and such tend to pop a 15amp circuit if you have lites,etc.. on the same circuit.Run separate circuits for Lites and Plugs,and lay them out so they are convienent.I use plugs in the ceiling(hooked to a switch) when I use 4' shop-lites,that way I can just plug them in when they are replaced/cleaned,etc..A weather-resistant plug outside by the door is always good too.Make sure it has a GFI.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Yep,Insulation and Lighting are key.Also if you insulate,then plywood the ceiling,paint it white,you will gain more Insulating and Reflectivity of heat back into the shed,outside temps will relect back into the attic,and the White will brighten your area alot.Take time to think about how you want things laid-out,such as plugs,switches,etc..Plugs are cheap,a 20amp circuit with 12-wire is a plus(standard is 15amp with 14-wire)Grinders and such tend to pop a 15amp circuit if you have lites,etc.. on the same circuit.Run separate circuits for Lites and Plugs,and lay them out so they are convienent.I use plugs in the ceiling(hooked to a switch) when I use 4' shop-lites,that way I can just plug them in when they are replaced/cleaned,etc..A weather-resistant plug outside by the door is always good too.Make sure it has a GFI.Hope this helps.
Yeah I am an electrician. I like the idea of painting the wood white to add more lighting. I have already added a 100 amp sub panel and put the lighting on its own circuit. I am still planning the back area where I will tinker..I also like the idea from Scott H to get a nice cheap desk from Goodwill. On the insulation side would you guys use the rolls or the foam type?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GatorClub View Post
On the insulation side would you guys use the rolls or the foam type?
That depends on the shed. Are the outer walls wood or metal?

If they're wood, I would use the roll insulation.

If they're metal, stick with the foam.

The reason I am saying this is metal siding tends to sweat when you have a large enough temperature differance between the inside and outside of the building. Roll insulation could absorb the moisture and after a while you would have mold starting to grow in it.

Foam tends to let the moisture roll off of it and doesn't mold as easily.

One major thing to remember when insulating though, if you insulate the roof it needs space between the actual roof material and your insulation to allow for air movement. I learned this the hard way and cooked the shingles off of one of my sheds due to the heat build up under them.

There are foam products on the market that will space everything out and provide the required space for air movement if you need it.

I hope this answers your question,
-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H. View Post
That depends on the shed. Are the outer walls wood or metal?

If they're wood, I would use the roll insulation.

If they're metal, stick with the foam.

The reason I am saying this is metal siding tends to sweat when you have a large enough temperature differance between the inside and outside of the building. Roll insulation could absorb the moisture and after a while you would have mold starting to grow in it.

Foam tends to let the moisture roll off of it and doesn't mold as easily.

One major thing to remember when insulating though, if you insulate the roof it needs space between the actual roof material and your insulation to allow for air movement. I learned this the hard way and cooked the shingles off of one of my sheds due to the heat build up under them.

There are foam products on the market that will space everything out and provide the required space for air movement if you need it.

I hope this answers your question,
-Scott H.
Thanks, yeah my shed is metal on he outside including a metal roof to match my houses roof. There is an actual roof vent cut the entire length to allow to breath. All off the studs are wood though.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Look up Tek-Supply,They specialize in Agriculture-Products.They have real good descriptions of what Insulation is best for different applications.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Don't forget to put an alarm in it or connect it to your house.

Shortly after I moved my stuff in to my shop, some clown tried to break in. Unfortunate for them is that the shop has its own alarm and is connected to the panic side of the house's alarm.

They were easy to find as they were at the emergency room complaining about not being able to hear. Guess that 250w bugle on the back of the house and the 150w in the shop did their job just fine.
tegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegger View Post
Don't forget to put an alarm in it or connect it to your house.

Shortly after I moved my stuff in to my shop, some clown tried to break in. Unfortunate for them is that the shop has its own alarm and is connected to the panic side of the house's alarm.

They were easy to find as they were at the emergency room complaining about not being able to hear. Guess that 250w bugle on the back of the house and the 150w in the shop did their job just fine.
lol I have already set up an LED flood light and will tie in the house alarm to it.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have floods on the front of the shop around the door and one on each side.

One of these days, I'll set it up so that when the alarm trips the lights come on too.
tegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop