lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
december45
Not Yet Wild

Default Still having problems with the cart

The cart is a 1996 EZGO Serial # 96 4313, Man # H 2896

The cart is used on acreage, and is used for mostly work. It has been working fine, actually working good enough for me to mention to my wife how good it has been working.
Charged it yesterday, every thing looked normal, got a little meter on it that tells when the batteries are full, the charger automatically shut off just like it is supose to, every thing looked good. Backed it out of the garage, moved the lever to forward and its DEAD. Nothing.
The above naration was from a previous post, at that time the cart started working and has been working intermittently ever since, but now its not working at all.
This cart has NO tow switch and is (I believe a series drive).
This is where I believe I am at with trying to figure it out;
The pedal mechanism under the floor seems to be adjusted correctly, Ive got power and when the pedal is pressed the solenoid clicks. I have good voltage at the batteries, when the pedal is pressed I have power to the forward and reverse lever. I have what looks to be power to the motor, the Red lead going to the motor has voltage when the pedal is pressed.
I have had this cart for about 14 years and its been used and abused by the entire family. Could the motor need brushes? I dont even know if these motors have brushes that can be changed? Any adviced on what to do next and the possibility of the motor needing brushes,is that something that wears out on these? thanks for any help.
december45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Default Re: Still having problems with the cart

Maybe the ITS.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
december45
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, but what is the ITS?
Old 08-29-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Inductive throttle sensor. Its located in the same box as the pedal micro switch that activates the solenoid. The switch sends power to the solenoid and thats the click you hear. The ITS is what makes the cart move depending on how far the pedal is pressed. If the ITS is bad, usually your solenoid will activate but the cart will either not move or barely move at all. I cannot guarantee thats your issue but it seems that way. There are threads on this forum on how to test the ITS. It would take all day to type it all out. I suggest testing that first.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #5
Scott quail
Gone Wild

This link should be helpful.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=106046

Very helpful folks here. Im sure someone will be along with some more insight but this link should help you test the ITS.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
december45
Not Yet Wild

I am going through the trouble shooting list that Scott posted above.
I am testing the solenoid.
pedal not pressed;
battery main neg to solenoid post with the positive cable 36+ volts with pedal not pressed
the other big post on the solenoid is about 18 + or - volts
pedal pressed;
battery main neg to solenoid with positive cable 20 + or - volts the other big post on solenoid 20 + or - volts
does this tell me the solenoid is bad... it does click
Old 08-30-2021, 02:15 PM   #7
Scott quail
Gone Wild

You should see pack voltage on both sides of the solenoid when you press the pedal. If the solenoid clicks but only has 18 or 20 volts than the solenoid is bad.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #8
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Is the resistor getting hot?
Old 08-31-2021, 10:45 AM   #9
biphase
Gone Wild

Voltage measurements indicate that the pack voltage is dropping to 20 volts under load. Bad batteries.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:26 PM   #10
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Oh. I see. So youre voltage on both sides of the solenoid drops to 20 or so volts. If youre dropping from 36 to 20 volts you have bad batteries. I thought you had 36 on one side of the solenoid and 20 on the other.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO