lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
desertratiw
Not Yet Wild

Default Batteries not fully charging

My 6 8 volt batteries (48 volt system) are not fully charging in my Club Car-based golf cart. the cart has a Lynx custom body sold by Larson of La Quinta, CA. It was built in 1999, and I am told that the frame is a 1996 Club Car (Series type). I don't know if the electrical system is the same origin as the frame, and Larson is now out of business.

The batteries did have the water level get below the plates somewhat a couple of months ago, but that is the first time since they were new in 2006. These are Trojan T-875 batteries. I have since learned that I refilled the water improperly ( I filled over the plates and slightly into the neck of the fill tube ).

All of the cables are tight and clean.

My charger is a Club Corp, and all has been working just fine until the last few weeks. The cart is used almost every weekend for at least 1, and frequently 2 18 holes of golf, with only a short 5 minute drive to the golf course.

I originally ordered new batteries, but when they came to install them, the technician advised that while all of the batteries were in fact not fully charged, he believes that the problem is the on board computer not allowing the charger to fully charge the batteries.

He tested the batteries and said they are all reading at the same level, but I did not think to ask specifics on the readings. He said there were no bad cells.

Symptoms:
1 - The cart is barely making it through 18 holes of golf (the same courses we have driven for 1 1/2 years). Sometimes I avoid severe slopes or having two people in the cart when navigating slopes to conserve the power.
2 - After a round, when I connect the charger, it momentarily reads 15 amps, then immediately drops to 12, before dropping to zero. When it begins to charge, it only goes back to 12.

Questions (please add yours as needed):
1 - Do I need to reduce the amount of water in the batteries if still over the plates and into the neck of the fill tube?
2 - If so, will that assist with regaining a fully recharged system?
3 - If manually recharged back to full charge, is it likely the charger will then keep them there for the future?
4 - If so, is there a proper procedure for manually charging?

I have read several of the threads in the forum with some helpful info, but did not find answers to these specific issues, or at least did not recognize them as such.

Many thanks for any info you can provide.
desertratiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: Batteries not fully charging

Welcome to the forum desertratiw..................

Is your charger an Automatic charger? If so, do you allow it to charge till it turns itself off?

Is is a Manual charger? If so how long do you let it charge?

Do you notice any wires or connections getting Hot when using the cart?

Many questions arise. Some of the other folks will have questions too.

Were here to help..........
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Most of the questions we will have require a voltmeter to answer. Do you have one?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
desertratiw
Not Yet Wild

The charger is an automatic one. I have not noticed any hot wires or connections after using the cart.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
desertratiw
Not Yet Wild

I do not have a volt meter, but will go get one immediately. Any specifications I need to make sure I meet when I buy?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Desert - How mechanical are you? As always, as a cart dealership, I will advise that you take your cart to a respectable repair shop to have them diagnose the issue. Sometimes, an hours labor charge can SAVE you money if you are not 100% on what you test, touch, adjust and / or replace yourself...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
desertratiw
Not Yet Wild

Mikes, I am reasonably mechanical, particularly so when I have specific info. I have had my cart looked at by a technician from a local large distributor, and am trying to gauge if the assessment made as described in my post sounds like the likely scenario. Or,alternatively, if there is some "easy?" DIY solution.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So you're second guessing what the dealership told you what the issue was? I'm confussed? There can be a number of issues your cart could have, computer, charger or batteries.

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I think the technician that looked at your cart seems to be honest. You ordered new batteries and he could have installed them and you would still have the same problem. As tech said he thought it was the the OBC. Did you let him do further test to verfy? The OBC on the cart tells the charger when to cut off, which could very well be your problem. Good luck.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
desertratiw
Not Yet Wild

The technician did not ask to do any further testing, just said he would bring a new OBC. I will ask him when he arrives tomorrow to test the one on board now.

Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car