lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2022, 09:35 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1988 EZGO is missing the starter generator

Spark plug looks good

If it hesitates to turn the motor with the drive belt on, but spins good every time if you remove the drive belt then I’d inspect the clutches and make sure they’re not hanging up. You should have a little “flex” flop in the belt but it shouldn’t be overly loose. From what I can see in your picture it looks okay. The main drive clutch should release and open all the way as the belt falls into the bottom of it. You should be able to turn the engine by hand and the belt not grab the clutch. Really, the clutch shouldn’t begin to close until it’s at 700-800rpm at the lowest. If the spring inside it is weak and it closes before then, it’s gonna grab too soon and you’re not only trying to start the engine with the starter/gen, but if that clutch closes you’re now trying to drive the cart with the starter/gen and start the engine at the same time.

The drive clutch doesn’t look like it’s in the best of shape. I’d check it closely
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2022, 09:48 PM   #12
rib33024

Copy and paste this and see if it will open

file:///W:/EZ-GO%20GX440%20GX444%201970-1990%20EC25DS%20ENGINE%20%20EZGO%20MANUAL%20%20%20 GAS.pdf
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:52 PM   #13
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I would think brushes or weak battery.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:38 AM   #14
JustChad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
The drive clutch doesn’t look like it’s in the best of shape. I’d check it closely
I checked both clutches and they are releasing like they should. The belt is bottoming out on the shaft on the engine clutch and the belt has a little bit of play in it. I pulled the plug and could spin the engine without the belt wanting to grab.
JustChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:41 AM   #15
JustChad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I would think brushes or weak battery.
I stuck the meter on the battery and it's reading good. I'm going to check the brushes next. See if I can get to them without pulling the motor and flywheel.

Thank you for the manual link. That's going to be huge help.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:51 PM   #16
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

A battery could read a good static voltage and still be bad. It needs a load test.

Put your meter on, and step on the pedal. If voltage drops below 9.6 volts, it's a failed load test.
Hidden corrosion in the positive battery cable would also cause your issue, but I'm leaning towards brushes.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:07 PM   #17
JustChad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
A battery could read a good static voltage and still be bad. It needs a load test.

Put your meter on, and step on the pedal. If voltage drops below 9.6 volts, it's a failed load test.
Hidden corrosion in the positive battery cable would also cause your issue, but I'm leaning towards brushes.
I get 10.7 volts when starting. So i think you're right about the brushes. I got some ordered and will give that a go when they get in. Thanks for all the help. I'll post an update once I get those checked.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:42 AM   #18
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

One thing that was mentioned above but you never gave an answer is the fuel/oil mixture, the plug does look ok (tan and dry) but I'm wondering if it's too lean. Of course that wouldn't have anything to do with the starter issue but I want to make sure you've got it right for when it does run......

So, at what ratio are you mixing? If you haven't added any gas/oil to it yet then ask the guy you bought it from, if he doesn't know then yeah go ahead and choke him lol, But don't do it yet

The proper mix is 128:1, that's 1oz oil to 1gallon gas. NO more NO less, don't be the guy that just gives it a couple chugs of oil and calls it good. IF you're not sure what it has now then drain the tank and start over, and don't use premium high octane gas. 85-87 is what it wants
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:08 PM   #19
JustChad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
One thing that was mentioned above but you never gave an answer is the fuel/oil mixture, the plug does look ok (tan and dry) but I'm wondering if it's too lean. Of course that wouldn't have anything to do with the starter issue but I want to make sure you've got it right for when it does run......

So, at what ratio are you mixing? If you haven't added any gas/oil to it yet then ask the guy you bought it from, if he doesn't know then yeah go ahead and choke him lol, But don't do it yet

The proper mix is 128:1, that's 1oz oil to 1gallon gas. NO more NO less, don't be the guy that just gives it a couple chugs of oil and calls it good. IF you're not sure what it has now then drain the tank and start over, and don't use premium high octane gas. 85-87 is what it wants

The mix is 128:1 using 85 octane. The new brushes should be in my hands soon. Hoping that gets it going again. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:00 PM   #20
JustChad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I pulled the motor out and removed the flywheel. The brushes look pretty new and aside from being a little dirty everything looks good to me. I’m not sure where to go from here or what else to check. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69006839-A19A-4A4A-9C75-27F3C6167319.jpg (206.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1E421090-A259-4940-9BCF-2DFAFE03A4F4.jpg (232.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO