lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2022, 08:23 PM   #31
KevinBuchner
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Robins 295 won't start after rebuild

What's the difference between a time sert kit and a heli coil?
KevinBuchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2022, 08:39 PM   #32
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

A helicoil is shaped like a “spring” so it’s just the threads essentially.

A time sert is a threaded sleeve that goes into the stripped out hole and provides threads for your fastener. They’re much much more e heavy duty

Helicoil vs time sert pics attached
Attached Images
File Type: png 7B5FA9A6-7FDD-4E9A-B895-C6EC7E97CA60.png (85.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 4EE1BDC5-7BB5-4B7A-869E-E51164E5FCF4.jpeg (108.0 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:20 AM   #33
KevinBuchner
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
A helicoil is shaped like a “spring” so it’s just the threads essentially.

A time sert is a threaded sleeve that goes into the stripped out hole and provides threads for your fastener. They’re much much more e heavy duty

Helicoil vs time sert pics attached
This is for the head bolts. The time sert won't leave a lip, between the block and the head so the head sits flush ..... correct?
Old 01-14-2022, 04:19 PM   #34
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuchner View Post
This is for the head bolts. The time sert won't leave a lip, between the block and the head so the head sits flush ..... correct?
That picture is only to show the difference in how they’re made. They don’t all have that lip. I believe the robins should be a M12x1.25 but I’d verify before taking my word for it

www.timesert.com/html/universalheadbolt.html
Old 01-14-2022, 11:51 PM   #35
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuchner View Post
If you buy the full kit, you get everything you need to fit them flush with the surface. I just used them on a Yanmar engine block to repair stripped threads for an engine mount. Way better than helicoils.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:32 AM   #36
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
If you buy the full kit, you get everything you need to fit them flush with the surface. I just used them on a Yanmar engine block to repair stripped threads for an engine mount. Way better than helicoils.
You’ll never use a helicoil again. Far superior
Old 01-20-2022, 12:12 PM   #37
KevinBuchner
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
That picture is only to show the difference in how they’re made. They don’t all have that lip. I believe the robins should be a M12x1.25 but I’d verify before taking my word for it

www.timesert.com/html/universalheadbolt.html
Well, not easy to explain but they don't have time sert head bolts the right size M8x1.25x50L, The other time serts have a lip at the top, yes there is a counter sink tool but the heads already have a bit of an oversized hole before it gets to the threads so the size of the shaft for the counter sink doesn't fit the hole correctly and is too small for the oversized part of the hole so it would waller around and make an oblong counter sink. I am going to grind the top lip off of the time sert and hopefully that will work.

I was thinking this was going to be quick and easy, lol. This project just keeps fighting me!!
Old 01-20-2022, 01:12 PM   #38
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I prefer to use the inserts called "key locking inserts"
They come in SAE and Metric.
Google metric key locking inserts and you will be in business.insert.jpg
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:24 PM   #39
KevinBuchner
Not Yet Wild

so... the saga continues....LOL I am learning a lot and will soon be a Robins 295 expert!!

The head bolt was stripped out and I tried the time sert but it did not hold. I took the block into a machine shop to have them redo the threads and they actually put threads in a hole that was supposed to be a port. ugh. I didn't think too much about it and they threaded the correct hole. I drained the oil and ran more oil through washing out some shavings of metal that had fallen down into the crankcase. When I put the engine back in the engine would not rotate freely. ugh. pulled it back out, the head looks good but still will not rotate freely. Time to pull apart the bottom end for the first time. It all looks good and now will rotate freely until I put the oil pump back on the shaft. I pull it apart and the port that the machine shop drilled and threaded goes right into the oil pump and it is full of metal shavings. I am showing my son and how cool of an oil pump it is and notice it is cracked. ugh. Ordering a new oil pump and then hopefully she will be ready to go!!!
Old 02-15-2022, 11:38 AM   #40
KevinBuchner
Not Yet Wild

She is RUNNING!! Well glad it is running. For some reason my drive clutch is not working right. Tore it apart and it is not sliding up and down the shaft smoothly and it gets stuck. Tried figuring out why and it doesn't make sense as it runs smooth over part of the shaft then sticks once forced by it is smooth again. lubricated, still the same. ordered new one and should be going down the road soon!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO