lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
lance_214
Rode hard, put up wet!

Club Car

Default Question on Paint

I decided, well actually the wife decided, that we aren't Plastidipping the golf cart like we did the Hummer. No new body either, so this leaves me with painting. Which type of paint do you guys use. I've read where some use PPG but the only places that I have in the "backwoods" is either Oreillys, Autozone or Wal-Mart. I do have a NAPA but its sparsely filled, more like a swap meet, and I'm wanting to paint this thing starting tomorrow if possible. Has anyone used like VHT, Duplicolor, Krylon, or anything from any of these stores that turned out looking good? Help please because I don't feel like the trial and error stuff.
lance_214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
lance_214
Rode hard, put up wet!

Club Car

Default Re: Question on Paint

Ummmm...anyone? This is an open forum where anyone can answer, right?....lol...
Old 06-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
RobCons
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Depends on look your going for. I figured the buggy would get scratched up so I just did rattle cans of Rustoleum 2X coverage for plastic. Body was in decent shape so I just pressure washed it, scrubbed it with a sanding pad, taped off, and sprayed. To me it looks fine, few nicks and scratches remain, but it looks fine. The Rustoleum 2X coverage stuff for plastic works pretty well, sticks ok.
RobCons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
RocDog
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I have had great luck with summit racing single stage urethene. You can order 24/7 and it will ship to your door for about $90 which will be more than enough material to spray this is a kit of paint reducer and activator
RocDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
lance_214
Rode hard, put up wet!

Club Car

Thanks Roc and Rob..by what I've read I thought most people are painting it with an acrylic paint. I will check into both options..I know Rustoleum would be the cheapest but you get what you pay for sometime. I've used Rustoleum before on chairs and stuff and it turned out good. Well guess I have two options so far to research. Thanks guys for your help. Maybe I can get other people putting their two cents in too to get some other ideas along with these. I appreciate it!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You are correct on you get what you pay for and RobCons is also correct when saying it depends what kind of look you are after. I will give you one peice of advise though. No matter which way you go spray cans or paint gun, just make sure you don't forget the adhesion promoter if the body is plastic. This basically softens up the plastic to make the paint adhere better and you need to spray it on before you put any material on the stock plastic. Bulldog makes a version in a spray can that works well. Just make sure to follow the instructions on the can and you will be fine.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
lance_214
Rode hard, put up wet!

Club Car

Thanks Master...appreciate it. I did the struts for the canopy yesterday with Plastidip to give the cart the black I'm looking for. I'm wanting it to look great since we use it on the golf course, kinda like I had it prof done. I know I wont quit be able to achieve that but I want it (well the wife too) wants it shining like they do on the show room floor with new bodies. I don't have the capabilities of anything other then rattle cans, or bombs as you pro's call em. What do you suggest other then the adhesion promotor. By what I've read, that is a must. I think my carts already been painted grey because of under the bumper but there is no paint peeling.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

so if it has indeed been repainted over the factory molded color then you will not need adhesion promoter, just scuff it with maroon scotchbrite clean with wax and grease remover and shoot. You do need to be positive though that it has been painted over the factory molded color.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
lance_214
Rode hard, put up wet!

Club Car

Thanks Master...I like the color now, its kinda a gray or silverish color but a little faded. on the back sides. I was wondering, could I wet sand the back and re clear coat it or is that not something thats normally done and would look like crap. The only reason I'm painting is because of the hazy/faded looking sides but if I can fix it, I will but don't know how to proceed if that's the option I choose. As you can see I'm slightly "confused" about what to do but either way, I want to do it pretty soon and need as much info as possible to help me decide. Thanks guys for reading the thread and please fill free to chime in and help. Thanks again Master!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
rib33024

If you think you can sand it smooth and not break through the grey, wet sand it and when it is all sanded, wet it with the water hose and that's what it will look like when you clear it
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint