lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
leftex
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 95 Medalist clutch removal.

Now that we are up and running again it is time to do some maintenance. The primary clutch needs some help. When taking off the engine revs up quite a bit before the clutch "pulls in" resulting in a jerky start.
I am using the improvised clutch removal tool consisting of a 3/4-16 bolt and a length of steel rod.

How do I keep the engine from turning while tightening the bolt? I can't seem to hold the clutch with one hand and turn the bolt with the other. How much grief would I cause by gripping the shaft between the 2 clutch halves with a pipe wrench? I have access to a lathe to smooth up any bite marks I might make.

Thanks,
Wayne.
leftex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
leftex
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 95 Medalist clutch removal.

Due to a lack of patience and evidence that someone before me had the same idea I was able to remove the clutch without much trouble. Doesn't appear that I caused any damage . The outer half of the clutch will still slide over the area we gripped with the pipe wrench. Next question. Is there anything to watch out for when disassembling the clutch?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
sonnyhooper
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Just remove the 6 small bolts there will be a spring but not very much pressure. Once the cover is off you will see the three weight I'm betting one or more is sticking they should be moved easily.
sonnyhooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
leftex
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Sonnyhooper,
Thanks for the reply. I took the cover and the spring off. The 3 weights seem to move freely. The spring didn't have very much "spring" to it. The surface of the side of the clutch that moves in & out is wavy for lack of a better word. I'm guessing that either the spring is worn or the wear on the surface of the moving side of the clutch is my problem. Can I press the clutch apart and true up the worn surface on a lathe?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No, the spider unscrews from the shaft to remove the movable sheave. There is not enough material left to machine out the grooves. Undoing the spider requires special tooling to hold the clutch and turn the spider which is locked up with red locktite. The spider can sometimes be a real challenge to loosen. Your best bet is a good used or new clutch.
Good luck, Bob
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
leftex
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Bob,

Thanks for the help. Looks like I will be shopping for a new clutch.

Wayne
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO