lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #21
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: dupont paint question? Need help fast.

If you wait too long between base and clear you could also have problems.

From Page 4

Flash/Dry Times
Air Dry
Flash between Coats 5 - 10 minutes.
Flash before Clearcoat: 15 - 30 minutes.
Flash before Tape: 30 minutes.
Flash before Two-Toning: 30 minutes.
Maximum Allowable Dry before Clearcoating: 24 hours.
Force Dry Not recommended.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #22
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good call Craig, just to be safe you can apply one more light coat of the basecoat with just the reducer this time "please no hardener" over what you have and then proceed with the clear coat after about 20 minutes. I have found through experience that you can apply the clear after 3 days or so of basecoating, I wouldn't recomend it but just some info for you guys. And yes we want to see some pics of you're handy work when it is finished.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #23
billys buggie
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

sorry i just saw this post. it is a shame that some people that sell paint do not know what there dowing . the info that master66 and creig tn are giving you is correct. i have been selling dupont paint for 24 years. the mix ratio that the paint expert gave you was absolutly wrong.
billys buggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #24
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

you are right about selling something she hasn't even read up on, or at least give him the tech sheet and go over it with him. In these days where a quart of paint with clear and reducer can cost you $200.00 it is sad.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #25
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by master66 View Post
Good call Craig, just to be safe you can apply one more light coat of the basecoat with just the reducer this time "please no hardener" over what you have and then proceed with the clear coat after about 20 minutes. I have found through experience that you can apply the clear after 3 days or so of basecoating, I wouldn't recomend it but just some info for you guys. And yes we want to see some pics of you're handy work when it is finished.
Thanks for answering that question before I even asked it. I had a talk with hedahls corporate today and they were very nice about it. They will reimburse me for all the paint I have already bought and give me new paint, primer and even sandpaper to sand it down. They say I have to get rid of all of that paint. I really hate the idea of having to sand it all down again. What do think the chances are of the bad paint working? Would it just be best to bite the bullet and sand it down. The paint seems really hard. I am going out to the garage to check some stuff on it in a hidden area. I am going to try sanding, scratching and I am going to put some duct tape on it to see if it will peel. I want to make sure that when I tape the flames the tape doesnt pull off. I figure if duct tape doesnt take it off masking tape shouldnt.
revoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #26
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Checked out the paint tonight and it seems very solid. I sanded it and it is not tacky underneath. I tried to scratch it off and it is very hard and I stuck a long strip of duct tape to and left it for about and hour and ripped it off and the adhesive from the tape stayed on the paint no paint came off. I am still concerned though so I may just go ahead and sand it down and start over. There goes another weekend.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #27
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The paint already there will not be a problem, the problem will probably be when clear is added it will blister or crinkle.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #28
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig tn View Post
The paint already there will not be a problem, the problem will probably be when clear is added it will blister or crinkle.
Yes thats what I am afraid of and I hate having to tiptoe around and hope it works. I think I will just start over especially since it wont cost me anything in the end except my labor.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #29
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am going to start sanding today hopefully pull an all nighter and get it back down to the primer so I can start repainting this weekend. I talked to the head paint guy at hedahls. Master you say no hardener but he says if you dont use hardener and you get dirt or something in the paint you want to sand out you cant recoat it because it might peel. What do you think about that?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #30
billys buggie
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

the hardener is for durability and flexability . if you got it i would use it . the mix ratio is 1to1 paint and reducer i believe that the reducer that you have is 7175s. then add 1 oz to sprayable quart. i added the product sheet for you to look at you just need adobe. it is free
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cbasebsct.pdf (88.2 KB, 5 views)
billys buggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint