lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: dupont paint question? Need help fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
I lived with it for a year until the wife ruined a
white sweater and then stripped it down and repainted.
It was a very ornate bench and tough to strip.
Well I did put two coats on. It said 30 min. between coats and I waited 1hr so I assumed I could spray another coat. So will this stuff ever cure completely? I want to tape out flames on it but now I am afraid the paint might just pull off with the tape. If I have to start over I am going to be ticked off. I have my garage up to almost 90 to try to help it dry I hope this will help.
revoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Someone is getting a new one chewed monday. I painted some metal panels for the cart this morning about 10AM and they have been sitting in my 95 to 98 degree garage for six hours and the paint is still tacky. Thats wrong and somebody is going to make it right!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So the hardener you used should be one ounce per mixed quart, so that means reduce the base 1 to 1 then add one ounce of hardener. Typically when you add to much hardener it will take forever to dry. I myself never use the hardener as it is just extra cost that in my opinion you don't need.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by master66 View Post
So the hardener you used should be one ounce per mixed quart, so that means reduce the base 1 to 1 then add one ounce of hardener. Typically when you add to much hardener it will take forever to dry. I myself never use the hardener as it is just extra cost that in my opinion you don't need.
Well then thats got to be the problem because I was told by the so called paint expert to reduce the base 1 to 1 and then mix that 4 to 1 with the hardener. Thats 8 oz per quart. As soon as I started talking to the paint expert I should have gone somewhere else because she didnt seem to have a clue. So will it cure completly even if I put a second coat on before the first was completly cured?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am a little confused with all of these numbers and I now have absolutly no faith in what I was told. So hopefully someone can help me with this because I dont want to screw up the clearcoat. It is dupont chromaclear G2-7779S and it says to mix it 4-1 with 77x5S reducer (x=6,7,8 or 9). I was given 7175S and told this will work. Will it work?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by master66 View Post
After I read this I called the paint expert and asked her again what her instructions for mixing the paint were and she told me the exact same thing. I am sure they are going to tell me that I mixed it wrong so I wanted her to tell me again so she would remember and I also told her she was wrong but I am sure she will try to back out of it anyway.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoarcher View Post
I am a little confused with all of these numbers and I now have absolutly no faith in what I was told. So hopefully someone can help me with this because I dont want to screw up the clearcoat. It is dupont chromaclear G2-7779S and it says to mix it 4-1 with 77x5S reducer (x=6,7,8 or 9). I was given 7175S and told this will work. Will it work?
Ok I will try to explain this best I can. The G2779s clear is fine, that takes a 77x5 hardener, now the x between the 7 and 5 on the hardener is replaced with a number depending on what the temp is you are spraying at,7765s for 60-70 degrees, 7775s for 70-80 degrees, 7785s for 80-90 degrees and 7795s for 90-100- degrees. This is a two component system that is mixed 4 parts clear to 1 part hardener. The 7175 she gave you is called a basemaker which is basically a fancy name for reducer and should not be used in the clearcoating process, this is what you mix with the basecoat. If she tells you to mix the 7175 with the clear it will never dry because it is not a hardening agent, go back and get the correct temp hardener.
If you let this thing sit in the heat for about 3 or 4 more days it should probably start to dry. My advice then is when you go to spray you're clear do two light fog coats and let those dry for about 20 min each and see what the color does. If you pound on the clear real heavy the hardener in the clear could possibly start eating the color. If it does nothing to it then you should be able to put a couple of good coats of clear on after that. These are the little tricks you have to do with paint when something doesn't turn out correctly, and these you only get with experience and alott of crap going wrong over 25 years. Good luck and I hope I helped you instead of confused you.

Last edited by master66; 10-12-2010 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: highliting
Old 10-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #18
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Revoarcher
If the person at the store where you bought you're paint tries to argue with you about the mixing ratios tell them to look at the tech manual sheet 1 for chromabase. It states, mix basecoat with basemaker at normal 1 to 1 ratio. Stir thoroughly,add 1 oz of 12305s activator to a ready to spray quart of chromabase. Any time you buy paint they should be able to supply you with the teech sheets for that paint system, it gives you everything you need to know about the products and I mean everything. If you would like to print it try this. http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...romaBaseBC.pdf

Last edited by master66; 10-12-2010 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: color
Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks master you are the man! You explained it perfectly. I am getting the run around at hedahls where I bought the paint but they did refund the $100 for the activator that I didnt need but used anyway. I am trying to get some of the activator for the clearcoat but I am trying to get them to give it to me free since they sold me a $73 gallon of reducer telling me it would work with both the base and clear. The paint seems like it is dry. Its not sticky at all and seems hard but I think I will give it a little longer to make sure it is cured all the way. This all has me very nervous and I was enjoying it until this all happened. I am a very patient and easy going man. So I called there and talk to her so I wouldnt make a big scene and get her in trouble but she cant do much. So tomorrow I will call the corporate paint guy and see what they can do.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #20
custom carts
THE CUSTOM KID

E-Z-GO

so now it is good we want some pictures
custom carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint