lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default dupont paint question? Need help fast.

Can anyone that has used dupont paint help me? I am painting my cart with dupont chroma paint (urethane). My base coat paint seems to be taking a long time to dry (still sticky after an hour). I am mixing the paint as per the instructions given to me but I dont know if I trust the paint person that gave me the instructions (didnt seem real knowledgeable). I have a chromabase that I am mixing 1-1 with 7175s basemaker and then mixing that 4-1 with chromapremier 12305s activator. Is this right and should the paint take that long to dry?
revoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Default Re: dupont paint question? Need help fast.

No it should not take that long to dry, You need faster reducer. Been along time since I used dupont but I believe your base maker should come in slow, medium and fast. Since you are using 7175s I think you will find there is 7175m. That would be the medium. Whats the temp and humidity where you are? Just a rough guess is OK. When I used chroma it was tack free in 30 min.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Temp is about 75 to 80 in my garage and humidity 47%. It is starting to set but it has been over 4 hrs and still a little sticky. I think they just sold me what they had in stock and not what I really needed. For the price I paid that really ticks me off.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
No it should not take that long to dry, You need faster reducer. Been along time since I used DuPont but I believe your base maker should come in slow, medium and fast. Since you are using 7175s I think you will find there is 7175m. That would be the medium. Whats the temp and humidity where you are? Just a rough guess is OK. When I used chroma it was tack free in 30 min.
I agree. If you bump up your reducer to a medium or fast (my suggestion), you will be tack free in 30 min for sure. As far as the mix ratios go just follow whats recommended on the can(s). Sounds like you've got it right though. I'm a PPG fan, but I have sprayed the DuPont Urethane on many cars that I have built.
YourCustomCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Medium should do it but fast should be ok too. Yeah they sure don't give er away. I'll tell ya a funny story. I decided to paint my bike in 2000, Picked a current auto color (2000 intrepid)and had a qt. mixed $104. Paint worked great but I needed just a little to finish and also wanted a little extra for touchup. Went back to store (been 2 weeks) guys say the formula is gone. I said you mean you cant find it? He says, No they dont offer that color anymore. I said I have the can with formula at home. He says I could mix it from that but I can't sell it to you.........I was just about to rip him over the counter and kill him and he said I will have to give it to you!!!!!!!!!!
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys I really thought something was really wrong. It does seem to be drying but 4 hrs between coats is a little much. I have two coats on already but I wanted to knock down some bug blemishes before I put on the last coat. It looks really good except for a couple floaters that landed on it. It has been a little stressful since I have not used this kind of paint before and because the price went from $35 a quart (for the cheaper brand I wanted) to $93 a quart for the premium stuff they mixed and then told me. So at that price I dont want to screw anything up. I will be glad when I am done.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

I left the cart set overnight and the paint seemed to be harder but it is still tacky. I was going to lightly sand some areas and them recoat but the sandpaper stuck to the paint. I dont know what the problem is but I dont think this stuff is ever going to completly dry. I am raising the temp in my garage to about 90 and see if I can get it to dry. Hope this works!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not dupont but I ran into that when I rushed the second coat once.
The first coat never did set all the way.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Not dupont but I ran into that when I rushed the second coat once.
The first coat never did set all the way.
So then what did you have to do?
Old 10-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I lived with it for a year until the wife ruined a
white sweater and then stripped it down and repainted.
It was a very ornate bench and tough to strip.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint