lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Poppy65
Not Yet Wild

Default HD cart won't start

I'm new to the cart world but worked on two strokes in sleds and worked on plenty of cars but this has me stumped. I have a '82 HD and the engine won't start. It verified spark, and have fuel to the carb. The plug isn't getting wet, is there some sort of reed system on these engine that might be stuck? I do get fuel driping back out of the carb when I spin the engine for a while. Tryed a little starting fluid as a last resort and it still won't fire. I checked the compression as suggested on a parts web site and it all looks good. Any suggestions?
Poppy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
4x4 CC
Frog Hunter

Club Car

Default Re: HD cart won't start

Take the carb off and clean it... Only thing I would know to do..
4x4 CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
mb523
Peanut

E-Z-GO

First off, welcome to BGW!

I would do as 4X4 CC mentioned. Give the carb a good cleaning. Make sure to use a small wire to ensure the main jet passageway is clear.
mb523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
carolinasled
Dum Spiro Spero

I agree with both of these guys and would also try to add alil gas directly to the piston and see if she will fire and I try to always hit the little passage ways and or holes in a carb with some compressed air also.
carolinasled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Poppy65
Not Yet Wild

I'll give that a try but way wouldn't it fire spraying starting fluid in the intake then?
Poppy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
mb523
Peanut

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy65 View Post
I'll give that a try but way wouldn't it fire spraying starting fluid in the intake then?
I totally missed this before... Please please please do not use starting fluid in a 2-stroke engine. It breaks down 2-stroke oil and causes scoring and welded up rings. Use carb cleaner and it never hurts to put a little 2-stroke oil into the cylinder either. It will protect your engine.
mb523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
carolinasled
Dum Spiro Spero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb523 View Post
it never hurts to put a little 2-stroke oil into the cylinder either. It will protect your engine.
This is what I meant. Not straight gas. But regular mixed.
carolinasled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I think you should remove the spark plug and put a little fuel mixture in the chamber. If it fires some you might have bad crank seals. If it does not fire there may not be a spark at the right time.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy65 View Post
I'm new to the cart world but worked on two strokes in sleds and worked on plenty of cars but this has me stumped. I have a '82 HD and the engine won't start. It verified spark, and have fuel to the carb. The plug isn't getting wet, is there some sort of reed system on these engine that might be stuck? I do get fuel driping back out of the carb when I spin the engine for a while. Tryed a little starting fluid as a last resort and it still won't fire. I checked the compression as suggested on a parts web site and it all looks good. Any suggestions?
Did you get your car running ? If not... What compression reading did you have at "wide open throttle" ? Should be 120 or so lbs, Minimum 100 lbs. Remember, you not only need "ring compession" but "crank case pressure" also. Crank case pressure (crank seals and engine block halves gasket) will "drive" the fuel pump, "suck" the gas/oil mixture thru the carb, thru the reed plate assy, thru the cylinder and piston ports to the combustion chamber. You can have all the ring compression you need , but without crankcase pressure you'll never get gas to the combustion chamber. Just a thought. Hope you already have it figured out. Godd luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The reason to put fuel mixture in the chamber is: if there is no crank case vacuum (bad seals or reed valve) the fuel will never get to the combustion chamber, so put some there and find out. Also the Harley Davidson engine runs normally with much less compression than other 2 cycle carts. The compression should read around 80# forward and 85# in reverse, Absolute minimum is close to 60# to 65# maybe 70#. I have had one as high as 90# and I have heard of higher but usually that means an exhaust constriction (stopped up muffler or carbon build up).
A Compression test should be done in forward as well as reverse and with the throttle wide open.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson